MCF
    mtbr member

FSR 120 Expert or Pro questions...

Is the only difference between the two bikes the color of the frame and components (i.e. are the frames and rear shocks exactly the same?)? I went to the website and looked at both and it seems to me the Expert should be more than the Pro, but the Expert MSRP is $2600 and the Pro is $3200. I like the black better and would be taking high dollar components off of another bike, so would it make any sense getting the more expensive one (Pro) if most the components are being taken off and put on another bike??

MCF
    mtbr member

Also....

does anyone know the weight difference between an S-Works FSR 120 frame and the Expert or Pro FSR 120 frame? According to a dealer here, the S-Works frame is significantly lighter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I have the 120 pro

and I love it. That being said, the black frame on the expert is great as is the total package. You get better wheels, cranks, and a couple other upgrades on the pro. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get the Expert just because I'm not a huge fan of the integrated XT shifters the pro comes with. I also wasn't a big fan of the Manitou fork, so I upgraded it to a Talas RLC. Don't get me wrong my 120 pro ROCKS!

If you have higher end components already, I'd get the Expert.

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    Is the only difference between the two bikes the color of the frame and components (i.e. are the frames and rear shocks exactly the same?)?
    Same frame, same rear shock... EXCEPT that the Pro is anodized, not painted (like the expert). Supposedly that's a stronger finish, and supposedly that shaves a whoppin' 100-ish grams or something -- all I know is that it feels & looks cool.

I love my Pro but sounds like the cheaper Expert would be perfect for you. I also love the Minute 1 now that it's broke it, but many prefer the Talas fork on the Expert, too!

MCF
    mtbr member

Speicalized claims that the weight difference

is only 0.5lbs...I can get that out of an expert by running stand in the tires...