mtbr member
    Mar 2004

FSR 120 chainline: what works with XT Hollowtech II?

So, I am putting an XT Hollowtech II (outboard bearings) on my FSR 120. But, I can seemt to get it to shift correctly. The bottom bracket comes with three 2mm spacers (all of which are required, as the BB shell is only 68mm on the FSR 120).

I tried 1 spacer on the drive-side, and couldn't get the front derailleur to drop the chain from the middle ring to the small ring (looks to be a chainline issue, as the drive-side is pretty wide with even that 1 spacer).

I tried no spacers on the drive-side, but that didn't work either. The front derailleur's cage would contact the pivot bushing and not allow the cage to move far enough to drop the chain into the little ring (although the chainline looked better).

Any ideas? All of you with FSR 120 Pros: how are they set up? I may try a 1, 1.5, or .5mm spacer on the driveside to see if I can fine-tune it. I have a Dura Ace Hollowtech II BB/Crank on my road bike and have never had shifting issues with it. I guess if all else fails, I can always go back to the Octalink BB setup....But I would rather not!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

On my Epic...

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    So, I am putting an XT Hollowtech II (outboard bearings) on my FSR 120. But, I can seemt to get it to shift correctly. The bottom bracket comes with three 2mm spacers (all of which are required, as the BB shell is only 68mm on the FSR 120).

I tried 1 spacer on the drive-side, and couldn't get the front derailleur to drop the chain from the middle ring to the small ring (looks to be a chainline issue, as the drive-side is pretty wide with even that 1 spacer).

I tried no spacers on the drive-side, but that didn't work either. The front derailleur's cage would contact the pivot bushing and not allow the cage to move far enough to drop the chain into the little ring (although the chainline looked better).

Any ideas? All of you with FSR 120 Pros: how are they set up? I may try a 1, 1.5, or .5mm spacer on the driveside to see if I can fine-tune it. I have a Dura Ace Hollowtech II BB/Crank on my road bike and have never had shifting issues with it. I guess if all else fails, I can always go back to the Octalink BB setup....But I would rather not!

I use 2 spacers on the drive side and it shifts perfectly and chain line is spot on.. if I am not mistaken the instructions set it like that 2 drive side, one non drive side.

Good luck,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I use 2 spacers on the drive side and it shifts perfectly and chain line is spot on.. if I am not mistaken the instructions set it like that 2 drive side, one non drive side.

Good luck,
    Cris
    Like the guy above said 2 drive side 1 on the other..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the tip. I tried the 2x2mm spacers drive-side, and the only trouble was in the middle ring, and 34t cog in the rear: the chain wanted to drop to the inside. I substituted a 2mm spacer for a 1mm spacer (the system only needs 5mm of spacers (68 to 73mm) so I am not sure why they supplied it with 6mm of spacers instead). Therefore, the drive-side with 3mm of spacers and 2mm of spacers non-drive-side seemed to be the best combo: I lost the tendancy of the chain to drop off in that middle/34t combo, and everything else shifted very well.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Glad that you sorted it out...

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    Thanks for the tip. I tried the 2x2mm spacers drive-side, and the only trouble was in the middle ring, and 34t cog in the rear: the chain wanted to drop to the inside. I substituted a 2mm spacer for a 1mm spacer (the system only needs 5mm of spacers (68 to 73mm) so I am not sure why they supplied it with 6mm of spacers instead). Therefore, the drive-side with 3mm of spacers and 2mm of spacers non-drive-side seemed to be the best combo: I lost the tendancy of the chain to drop off in that middle/34t combo, and everything else shifted very well.
    now go out and enjoy your new cranks

Cheers,
    Cris