mtbr member
    Jul 2011

front tire for stumpy fsr for hardpack/loose over hardpack

bike is 2011 stumpy fsr elite (26er)
    trail conditions are mostly hardpack/loose over hardpack
    my weight is about 195lbs-200lbs with gear
    riding style is aggressive trail riding
    currently using stock s-works purgatory 2.2 front (32 psi) and captain control 2.0 rear (32 psi)
    issue -- experiencing front wheel washout. have corrected rider input as much as i can, but still having surprise front wheel sudden disappearing acts sometimes around simple corners under dry/sandy hardpack conditions

any suggestions for front tire change or psi change is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    posted to wheels thread instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is your sag set correctly front and back? I have had great luck with the purg up front on loose over hardpack. Also how are your nobs? If the square edge is gone, and your nobs are starting to round off its time to replace the tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    main trail is probably more towards hardpack (80%) rather than loose over hardpack (20%), but point taken. the knobs are in good shape. issue is that the knobs appear to be too tall and too spaced out for the conditions I'm finding myself in most of the time. in my view, i'd guess the purg up front seems good for about 20% of my main trail ride, and the other 80% it's made me so nervous that i end up easing up far too much. it's really noticeable when i ride another bike with something like a fast trak up front, which i did on the weekend, and loved the grip. it was a night and day difference ... and in turn brings me to question my front tire. i will take a closer look at the side knobs though to be sure i'm being fair to the tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool. The captain works really good too for hardpack up front. However isnt as great in the loose over hard pack sections as the purg.

Swap your tires around and give that a go since you already got the captain out back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I agree that the purgatory is awesome on loose over hard. When I ride more hard pack I up the tyre pressure and that helps a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    midbunchlurker -- what's your weight? what psi do you use up front? i would've assumed a high psi would actually make it wash out even more on hardpack since it'd be prone to skipping/washing rather than deforming/sticking to the trail ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    midbunchlurker -- what's your weight? what psi do you use up front? i would've assumed a high psi would actually make it wash out even more on hardpack since it'd be prone to skipping/washing rather than deforming/sticking to the trail ...
    I'm 160lbs, running my front 29er Purg 2.3 at 22-25psi depending on conditions.

mtbr member
    If you don't mind a little extra weight try the Butcher Control up front. I am running the Butcher up front and 2.2 Cpt. in back on my 140 mm trail bike. Very happy with the combo. I had the 2.2 Purg up front for a bit, but like you, had some washing out that I never experienced with the Butcher. For a lighter, better rolling front tire I might try the Ground Control 2.3.

mtbr member
    WTB Weirwolf 2.3. Run the front 5 psi lower than the back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Tried the weirwolf. great tire however I had issues with chunking and okay rolling resistance. Weirwolf works great in mud, tacky soil, loose over hard pack, however the nobs dont last very long and once their round watch out especially on hardpack conditions. Thats just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The only way to find out what works is just to try different brands, combos, and ask the locals & shops what their running. I tend to favor specialized tires after trying many different brands of tires over the years. But thats just my opinion for my local trails here in Wyoming.