mtbr member

Front skewer, DT Swiss junk.

I have the Specialized STOUT front hub that utilizes the thick aluminum DT Swiss ratchet skewer. I absolutely hate this skewer and would like to know if anybody has converted the hub for use with normal QR skewers.
    "What Would Doug Do?"

banned
    What don't you like about it? The RWS is an awesome skewer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    What don't you like about it? The RWS is an awesome skewer.
    I remove and replace my front wheel a lot for transportation purposes and it seems that this design causes excess grinding on my fork dropouts, not to mention how it takes forever to remove and install the wheel. I do like the 9mm thickness throughout, but the plastic ratchet handle just seems flimsy.
    "What Would Doug Do?"

banned
    Grinding the dropouts? There's a bushing there for that. The knurled nut that actually engages the dropout is distinct from the lever.

As far as the plastic handle goes, I have not seen flex in mine, so while in theory a composite can be flimsy, these are not.

"Seems" is certainly not a good reason to get rid of a product, especially one highly acclaimed. I use one myself.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    DTS makes good products - I doubt much of their stuff is "flimsy," and if it is, they will fix it for you.

Now as for the pain in the ass part, I cannot say because I (unfortunately) don't have these yet for my HT....but if you don't want it, send it my way!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I actually like this skewer, I dig the design and find the resin/composite handle to be comfortable.

And although I was warned at my shop that sometimes, these have been known to loosen a bit and you've got to re-tighten - i've not experienced that yet at all.

mtbr member
    I have no complaints about the function, just how long it takes to actually use the thing. I'm going to look into building a truck bed system that'll allow me to keep the wheel on when I transport the bike.
    "What Would Doug Do?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I take my wheel off to transport and don't find it to take too much extra time. It only takes me about 3/4 of a turn to get it loose enough that I just turn the nut side to get it the rest of the way loose. Which is the same way I do the quick release on my other bike. The only pain is that it doesn't self-center itself for the quickest reinstall. But I don't find that to be too hard to do (bend over and tap it to be centered).

Thule makes a system that goes into the truck bed and you don't have to take off the front wheel. One of my friends has a maxle on his fork and just uses tie down straps from the handle bars to the corners of the bed and it seems to be pretty stable.

banned
    The time it takes? It's probably faster and easier than a regular QR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I think specialized made a house brand regualr QR version a while back, but good luck finding one. Not sure if they're the same diameter though, one may be 9mm and the other 10mm. I know alot of people who ride technical terrain hate em because they've broken them off and now have to use vice grips to get the thing off untill a replacement comes in.

I believe for the rear hub, hadley and DT make a through axle that can replace it with bolt on style axle. somethign may be available for the front as well but I'm not sure. Beware that hadley also makes a 10mm Ti bolt on system that I think is different from their thrubolt system.