mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Front derallieur on Epic 2009, adjustable height?

The S-Works Epic 2009 has a direct mount front dérailleur. Is this fixed or can it be adjusted in height to fit other large front gear than 44 ? For example, can I move it down to make it work optimal on a two-gear crankset or up to make it fit the oval Rotor 44t gear?

mtbr member
    If it is anything like the dmd on my 09 stumpy, it can be moved down roughly 5 or 6mm max. There were actually spacers in the bolt slots that held them in the upper position.

When I converted to a 2 ring with 36t large I simply reversed the spacers to lock it in the lower position. This didn't get me as close as I would have liked to the top of the chainring, but its close enough to work pretty reliably.

mtbr member
    There's a few mm adjustment available for the 2009 Epic's front derailleur. With Shimano Deore XT 44/32/22 chainrings my derailleur was at the maximum height available. It could be moved down by removing a spacer but not up.

In order to fit a Rotor Q-Ring 44t chainring you have to modify the derailleur to allow it to go higher.

See posts #248 onwards in this thread for details and pictures about fitting Rotor Q-Rings to a 2009 Epic: (make sure you're viewing the thread in Linear mode.)

My New S-work Epic impressions