mtbr member
    Oct 2010

front derailleur prob with Epic 29er comp fsr

hi,

the front derailleur on my 2011 Epic 29er comp fsr just doesn't seem to work properly as it rubs in a lot of the combinations. I've taken it back to the LBS and they adjust it but it still is lame.

This is a SRAM X.7,10-speed, S3 direct mount for DMD, bottom pull on a triple.

I've read reviews of the X.7 having this rubbing problem.

I never had this problem with Shimano XTR

Wondering if there is a compatible Shimano derailleur to use ?

I thought the FD-M981-D would work but it looks like it's a high direct mount.

Anyone have any ideas ? THANKS!!

mtbr member
    You'll be able to fit a Shimano E-Type triple front derailleur to the frame by unscrewing the bottom bracket mount from the front derailleur.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/...-E.-type-.html

A Shimano Deore XT front derailleur will still rub a little as you're quite limited in front derailleur adjustments because the direct mount derailleur can't be rotated and you can't trim with the front shifter either.

One thing that you can do to reduce rubbing and increase clearance is to file away the top section of the front derailleur so that it doesn't rub in the big ring / largest rear sprocket combination. This helps quite a bit with alignment and makes the gears run better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    thanks for your help, I'll check into that E type derailleur

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    do you think it's possible to mount a hi-clamp style Shimano derailleur even though theres the braze on for the direct mount ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metafizx
    do you think it's possible to mount a hi-clamp style Shimano derailleur even though theres the braze on for the direct mount ?
    I highly doubt it as the seat tube isn't round where it would clamp on (or anywhere on the seat tube below the shock pivot). Unless I'm not clear on how a hi-clamp derailleur attaches to the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metafizx
    It is possible to fit one with a modified clamp or rivets but the seat tube on a retail frame isn't strong enough at that point and could crack. Apparently the Specialized team frames which use derailleurs mounted on the seat tube are specially reinforced.

Have a look at this thread from post #308 onwards discussing front derailleurs. (Make sure that you're viewing this forum in linear mode so that the posts are all in order).

My New S-work Epic impressions

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    thanks so much for the great info.

I think I'm stuck with the direct mount option. I noticed that the upper end of the Epics go to 2x10 and only the comp has the triple. I am sure Specialized knows (now) this derailleur (X.7) has problems and made changes to avoid this in the other variations.

mtbr member
    It really depends on which gear combinations you're using. Which combinations of chainring and rear sprocket are particularly bad? If you're having big problems then it could be a chainline issue.

With Shimano Deore XT shifters, a Shimano Deore XT M770-E front derailleur and Shimano Deore XT triple chainset my 2009 Epic doesn't rub in any rear sprocket whilst on the 44T big ring. That's only because I've filed a big chunk off the front derailleur though where it would rub otherwise when cross chaining.

For the middle ring the chain in middle ring/ largest rear sprocket rubs extremely lightly on the front derailleur and it also rubs extremely lightly in the granny ring/ largest rear sprocket. The problem being that if you adjust the cage too far inwards then there isn't enough throw in the Shimano front shifter to upshift from the middle ring onto the big ring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I try to have reasonable expectations with a triple 10 spd.

but I do want it to work ok in the "sweet" spots of the gear combos.

I'm going to try the shimano derailleur and see if that helps.