Got Ventana

Frame query on 06 Stumpjumper

Just noticed after bottoming out my shock the other day that where the rear triangle meets the FSR linkage that there is a scratch/mark from the bottom of the seat stay.

Is this something that i should be worried about and seeing my specialized dealer or is it just a normal thing with these frame

Would really like an answer cause this is concerning me, the bike is only a couple of months old and i dont think this should be happening.

Some advice/opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers Tom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy84
    Just noticed after bottoming out my shock the other day that where the rear triangle meets the FSR linkage that there is a scratch/mark from the bottom of the seat stay.

Is this something that i should be worried about and seeing my specialized dealer or is it just a normal thing with these frame

Would really like an answer cause this is concerning me, the bike is only a couple of months old and i dont think this should be happening.

Cheers Tom
    Tom, are you running pressure less than your weight and took a 6ft drop? Although I use most of my travel with normal riding, I haven't ever bottomed out. I am 200lbs and run the Triad at 230psi with no problems.

Got Ventana
    No 6ft drops for me, the biggest i go is 1-2 feet so that shouldn't cause a problem. It has only happened once and the o-ring fell off the shocks shaft.

I like it a bit stiffer in the rear, i weigh 190lbs and run the triad somewhere between 220 and 240 psi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No 6ft drops for me, the biggest i go is 1-2 feet so that shouldn't cause a problem. It has only happened once and the o-ring fell off the shocks shaft.

I like it a bit stiffer in the rear, i weigh 190lbs and run the triad somewhere between 220 and 240 psi.
    At your weight and using that much shock pressure you shouldn't be coming close to bottoming the shock. If you compressed it enough to push the o-ring off the shaft you probably have a bad shock and should take it back to the dealer to have it checked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I like it a bit stiffer in the rear, ...
    Damn! I am so immature.

mtbr member

Wow.... I think you might have some other issues then. I agree with PaMtbRider. It sounds like the shock is defective. Do you have a lot of bob on smooth courses or does the shock compress more than 50% if you sit on the bike? Be aware that when my Triad was sent back it took 3 weeks for the turn around. It was a grueling ordeal waiting for the shock to be fixed but I made it through.

Got Ventana
    If i have the shock fully open if bobs ALOT. Its ok in pro-pedal mode but i dont really notice it when im climbing, it just kinda squats.

Oh i bottomed out the shock in pro-pedal mode aswell.

Looks like im visiting the bike shop on the weekend

mtbr member
    If i have the shock fully open if bobs ALOT. Its ok in pro-pedal mode but i dont really notice it when im climbing, it just kinda squats.

Oh i bottomed out the shock in pro-pedal mode aswell.

Looks like im visiting the bike shop on the weekend
    Fox does have a recall on the seals for the Triad. I was riding a local trail and found the bike bouncing on everything. I stopped to take a break, still sitting on the bike, and began to notice how much the bike would squat. I examined the shock and found oil dripping from the body onto the frame.

After getting the shock rebuilt the bike is a blast and with the Triad setup at 230psi, it would take quite a hit to bottom it out.

Try going through Fox directly. LBS policy and a loser manager kept my shock at service for 3 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cheers Tom
    Just to clarify, when you said:
    "where the rear triangle meets the FSR linkage that there is a scratch/mark from the bottom of the seat stay."
    did you mean to say:
    "where the rear triangle meets the FSR linkage that there is a scratch/mark from the bottom of the seat post"?

Because that's a different situation all together. You need to make sure the seat post, at the lowest position you use, cannot contact the shock or linkage. Trim the post if needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

same here

i had the same problem recently, my shock would just deplete after about an hour of riding, then when it would bottom out it would contact, anyone with the same problem knows exactly where you are talking about, after servicing the shock and having the seals and the schrader replaces, everything seems to be fine, however the factory reccommended 95% of BW for the pressure is way too low IMO. so im at about 205 for safety measures, after all i do have seven settings to choose from, high, low, and all that other crap in between.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Just to clarify, when you said:
    "where the rear triangle meets the FSR linkage that there is a scratch/mark from the bottom of the seat stay."
    did you mean to say:
    "where the rear triangle meets the FSR linkage that there is a scratch/mark from the bottom of the seat post"?

Because that's a different situation all together. You need to make sure the seat post, at the lowest position you use, cannot contact the shock or linkage. Trim the post if needed.
    The seat tube has a stop to prevent the seat post from sliding through and contacting the shock. I think he means the tops of the seat stays are contacting the seat tube.

At 230psi, my Triad moves some but I wouldn't describe it as a squat. Previously when my seal was blown, it would definitely squat in open-mode or even propedal. Come to think of it, lockout caused severe bobbing as well.