mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Frame Differences

So how would a 07 Rockhopper Pro Frame compare to an 07 Stumpjumper comp frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

There are some slight differences....

the Stumpy is a little taller as far as standover height, has a slightly higher bottom bracket, slightly steeper head tube angle, a little longer wheel base, and a few other differences. Keep in mind that the Rockhopper is a general XC type frame. The Stumpumper is an XC racer. The slight geometry differences are there to quicken the handling of the Stumpy as compared to the Rockhopper. The best way to define the differences and their impact on handling and ride is to test ride each bike in the appropriate size. Comparing numbers is just that, comparing numbers. It can only give you a hint of what these differences actually mean on the trail.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    So if I could get either a Rockhopper Pro and upgrade or a Stumpjumper Comp and keep it stock, which would be a better idea. If i liked both frames equally. Also would there be a significant weight difference bettween the two frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The Stumpy starts out with a lighter frame....

around .4lbs lighter. So in the end it can end up a significantly lighter bike. It is almost ALWAYS cheaper in the long run to get the best bike that you can afford or exactly the bike that you want and avoid upgrades! While upgrades are fun they ultimately cost you quite a bit more money. Minor things like seat posts, seats, stems, tires, etc. are normal and relatively inexspenive upgrades, and are fairly cost effective. But where your going to get into the big differences between the Hopper and the Stump are forks, cranks, wheels, etc. Which are the real weight savers, but also the most expensive to upgrade. The top end Rockhopper Pro runs $1100 msrp, the Stumpy Comp retails for $1700. The $600 difference could be very easily eaten up just upgrading the fork to match the Stumpy, Fox F series forks start at $600 and go up!, and we haven't even talked about wheels, or brakes yet.

The bottom line is, it would be cheaper in the long run to go with the Stumpy that you want instead of getting a Rockhopper and upgrading. Up to you of course, and dependant on your budget. Both are good bikes with solid frames and good parts specs for their price ranges. Just take a look at the specs for both. Figure out what you'd want to upgrade and see which would cost you less in the long run. Since you like both frames it pretty much comes down to spending the money now, or more later to upgrade.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Ok thanks for your input.