mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fox Triad or RP3 on 04 Stumpy?

I spoke with Specialized and they said they will soon be releasing the Fox Triad shock for the Stumpy 100 (Full Open, ProPedal and Lock). Is it worth waiting for this shock (upgrade my existing Fox R) or get the RP3? The way I understand it, the RP3 does not have a rear lockout and it really felt nice when I test rode it in the shop. I like my existing shock but would like the ability to change the settings from time to time. Any thoughts?

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in CO
    I spoke with Specialized and they said they will soon be releasing the Fox Triad shock for the Stumpy 100 (Full Open, ProPedal and Lock). Is it worth waiting for this shock (upgrade my existing Fox R) or get the RP3? The way I understand it, the RP3 does not have a rear lockout and it really felt nice when I test rode it in the shop. I like my existing shock but would like the ability to change the settings from time to time. Any thoughts?
    Is this Triad the same from the high end 04 models? I think that Fox modified a little the ProPedal internals for the RP3, which would be nicer. I think that the RP3 is a very nice shock. But, how much money is it going to cost you? And what's your riding style? Do you like to change stuff in the ride, or just being able to?

I had the Float R on my Stumpy FSR, and liked it very much, and really never felt the need to change settings. Now I have the RP3 and I think it's a nicer shock, but sometimes I just forget to switch settings. If I don't change, I believe that the RP3 behaves the same as the Float R at mid-pp setting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Same Triad

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Is this Triad the same from the high end 04 models? I think that Fox modified a little the ProPedal internals for the RP3, which would be nicer. I think that the RP3 is a very nice shock. But, how much money is it going to cost you? And what's your riding style? Do you like to change stuff in the ride, or just being able to?

I had the Float R on my Stumpy FSR, and liked it very much, and really never felt the need to change settings. Now I have the RP3 and I think it's a nicer shock, but sometimes I just forget to switch settings. If I don't change, I believe that the RP3 behaves the same as the Float R at mid-pp setting.
    Yes it is the same Triad shock that came on the 04' expert and higher. I don't know what Specialized/Fox will charge for this though. The new RP3 is $360 or so. At the time I bought the bike, it was about a $300 upgrade from the Elite Disc. I couldn't justify it then, but also, I liked the shiny, chome frame as well. I didn't like the powdercoated blue/green frame.

Now I have a little extra and thought it might be a nice upgrade. My wife got me an AWESOME 10th anniversary gift.......a Hut to Hut bike trip from Durango to Moab....215 miles in 7 days! She blew me away!! Anyways, I thought it might be nice to have a lockout for some of the distance riding I am going to do. I generally like some difficult, technical trails, climbs but also some downhill as well. I don't want some tank.

Bike to the Bone...
    Yes it is the same Triad shock that came on the 04' expert and higher. I don't know what Specialized/Fox will charge for this though. The new RP3 is $360 or so. At the time I bought the bike, it was about a $300 upgrade from the Elite Disc. I couldn't justify it then, but also, I liked the shiny, chome frame as well. I didn't like the powdercoated blue/green frame.

Now I have a little extra and thought it might be a nice upgrade. My wife got me an AWESOME 10th anniversary gift.......a Hut to Hut bike trip from Durango to Moab....215 miles in 7 days! She blew me away!! Anyways, I thought it might be nice to have a lockout for some of the distance riding I am going to do. I generally like some difficult, technical trails, climbs but also some downhill as well. I don't want some tank.
    I think you should wait to see how much $$ they will charge for the Triad. If you want a lockout, the triad would be one of the few shocks that offer lockout, I think.

The RP3 is very nice also, you could set it to the firmer settings. It may not be the same as a lockout, but it may work the same if you're not riding on paved roads.

Team Blindspot

Look into having your current shock Pushed

I just got an 04 Stumpy 100 with a Triad. I got half a dozen rides on it, very nice shock, but I don't like flipping levers during my rides.

So, I had my previous shock, a Float R, Pushed and added the AVA sleeve. And I can say that shock outperforms the Triad, and I don't have to flip a lever anymore. Darren and Jimmy set up the shock for you, your bike, and your riding style.

And it will be about half the cost of a new shock. Give Push a call, they are very friendly and will answer your questions on the phone.

Good Luck!
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My wife got me an AWESOME 10th anniversary gift.......a Hut to Hut bike trip from Durango to Moab....215 miles in 7 days! She blew me away!!
    So after 10 years your wife sends you away for a week, what does that tell ya? :-)