mtbr member
    May 2005

Fox Shock purchase

Has anyone purchased a rear shock from Fox lately? Sunday I went to my LBS and paid retail for a new DHX Air 5.0 (Enduro version). Today I went to pick it up and they handed me what looked like a used plastic bubble-wrap bag with the shock in it and the manual rubber-banded around the bag. The bushings were tie-wrapped to the eyelets. I took the shock out of the bag to examine it and it had oil on every part of it. Not a lot but noticeable. Not just on the piston shaft but on the body and the resevior. I left the shock with the shop because I am afraid it might be used/rebuilt.

So a couple of question:

1. Is this the way Fox packages all rear shocks?
    2. Do the shocks have serial numbers?
    3. Is there any way to determine if the shock is actually new?

mtbr member
    That sounds like bulk packaging, not aftermarket consumer purchase packaging. When shipping shocks to OE's or shops that are to do the install themselves, to save money on shipping, packaging, and landfill waste shocks are all bubble wrapped and dropped into one big box.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Being
    Has anyone purchased a rear shock from Fox lately? Sunday I went to my LBS and paid retail for a new DHX Air 5.0 (Enduro version). Today I went to pick it up and they handed me what looked like a used plastic bubble-wrap bag with the shock in it and the manual rubber-banded around the bag. The bushings were tie-wrapped to the eyelets. I took the shock out of the bag to examine it and it had oil on every part of it. Not a lot but noticeable. Not just on the piston shaft but on the body and the resevior. I left the shock with the shop because I am afraid it might be used/rebuilt.

So a couple of question:

1. Is this the way Fox packages all rear shocks?
    2. Do the shocks have serial numbers?
    3. Is there any way to determine if the shock is actually new?

Typically Fox shocks come bubble wrapped inside a nylon bag with the Fox logo on it. There is also a manual and some stickers.

I have a brand new Enduro specific DHX-A for sale if you are interested PM me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the offer punkassean.

This is probably just another case of me being overly cautious. Seems to happen whenever the price of something is above my impulse-buy threshold. I was shocked that a component that expensive is treated with less care than a derailer. Anyway, I talked to Fox and they are sending another shock to the shop and I will select the one I want to take home. I'm happy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Starting to be a nightmare. The [SIZE="4"]top[/SIZE] bushing doesn't bush. It is supposed to turn isn't it? The way this one is, the dust covers are acting as the bushing(outside the o-rings). Anyone seen this before? Arrrrrrrrg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The DHX does not have a spherical bearing at the front shock eye like the 5th does. That was one thing about the 5th I actually liked. The rear Enduro mount still allows for misalignment though so it's all good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Dhx-a

punkassean - I PM'd you about that enduro DHX-A you have. Did you get it?

Do you still have it for sale?

Cheers,

Scott.
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    The DHX does not have a spherical bearing at the front shock eye like the 5th does. That was one thing about the 5th I actually liked. The rear Enduro mount still allows for misalignment though so it's all good.
    I mean the inner bushing does not rotate in the outer bushing. It's like a press fit in the outer bushing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Have you mixed up the 5th Element and DHX hardware? My DHX does not have o rings on the mounting hardware. The 5th did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    punkassean - I PM'd you about that enduro DHX-A you have. Did you get it?

Do you still have it for sale?

Cheers,

Scott.
    PM replied, sorry it took so long.