mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Fox F100RLT on a 06 S-works Stumpjumper FSR

Now I'm playing with building up a really nice technical course race bike using the S-Works SJ FSR frame (brain fade looks nice!) with possibly a Fox F100RLT.

While this will be primarily a rocky course race bike, I am also looking at using it at www.raysmtb.com where I ride for 2 hours straight doing laps and hitting jumps (hey have to get XC tyraining in some how!) as well as some some mild dirt jumping.

My questions are:

Will the blanace be messed up not being able to adjust the F100RLT? (The Talis is .5lbs more)

Is the S-Works SJ over kill and could I use an 06 Epic Marathon just as well?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have a SJ 120 with a Talas, and my choice for a rocky course would be the 120mm setting which gives the most balanced handling.

At 100mm or 90mm the bike feels great for smoother courses and uphills but not necesarily rocky terrain. The bb is very low when the fork is dialed down.

Get a Talas and save the grams elsewhere...

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by HiHoEskimo
    Now I'm playing with building up a really nice technical course race bike using the S-Works SJ FSR frame (brain fade looks nice!) with possibly a Fox F100RLT.

While this will be primarily a rocky course race bike, I am also looking at using it at www.raysmtb.com where I ride for 2 hours straight doing laps and hitting jumps (hey have to get XC tyraining in some how!) as well as some some mild dirt jumping.

My questions are:

Will the blanace be messed up not being able to adjust the F100RLT? (The Talis is .5lbs more)

Thanks!
    If you got the cash, anything is possible. I do have a feeling that it seems like you are asking too much of everything. I think Epic and SJ are totally different yet awesome bikes. I feel like you are mostly suited for SJ from what you're describing. Carbon or aluminum, whatever your financial situation suits you.

I have the Aluminum Epic now, and I have my eyes on the carbon epic frameset though, as the parts on my current bike are mostly top end and I'll probably end up transferring the parts if I get one. I'm waiting until people start riding it so I'll know for sure if it is worth it. SJ seems awesome too, but I don't think I am the stumpjumper guy, as I came from riding a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffunda
    If you got the cash, anything is possible. I do have a feeling that it seems like you are asking too much of everything. I think Epic and SJ are totally different yet awesome bikes. I feel like you are mostly suited for SJ from what you're describing. Carbon or aluminum, whatever your financial situation suits you.

I have the Aluminum Epic now, and I have my eyes on the carbon epic frameset though, as the parts on my current bike are mostly top end and I'll probably end up transferring the parts if I get one. I'm waiting until people start riding it so I'll know for sure if it is worth it. SJ seems awesome too, but I don't think I am the stumpjumper guy, as I came from riding a hardtail.
    I agree I am asking for everything The sad thing is that I like my current bikes (Trek Carbon Fuel and EX9) but they are just a bit to low onthe front end. I already have 3 cm of stack and need 3 to 4 more.

I did check out a 06 SJ and learned that the Brain Fade is made not to be as stiff as on the Epic. To bad, if it had the same lock out I'd go with the 06 S-works SJ as it would be the best of all types of riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was thinking up upgrading my 05 SJ PRO with the same fork you mentioned. I have a minute 1 and I have never taken the travel over 100m and it weighs 0.5lbs more than the Fox..

Quote Originally Posted by HiHoEskimo

My questions are:

Thanks!