mtbr member

Fox/Brain likes and dislikes.

Please give me your honest opinions of the epic Fox/Brain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

tilted wheel

The suspension is not in the middle of the bike, so the side on which is the suspension is STIFFER than the other side and therefore after some months of riding your rear wheel will be a little bit tilted to the side where the suspension is.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverr
    The suspension is not in the middle of the bike, so the side on which is the suspension is STIFFER than the other side and therefore after some months of riding your rear wheel will be a little bit tilted to the side where the suspension is.
    I used an Epic for about 2 and a half years and never seen the slightest hint of this behavior.... besides the linkage is just a strong/weak on one side as the other.... the shock doesn't handle any lateral loads because of the angular contact bearing it uses... so it doesn't really stiffen the side it is on....

The Other Dude
    I agree, that is bogus info about the wheel tilt.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    All I know about the Epic with brain is, My ave. speed is noticeably faster on the same trail compared to the '07 Stumpjumper expert with brain. Just my opinion

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah I am wandering about this one to. Salesman actually told me it's most likely not worth the extra $$$ and it is just one more component that will require maintenance or get broken all together. bump it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3xv
    All I know about the Epic with brain is, My ave. speed is noticeably faster on the same trail compared to the '07 Stumpjumper expert with brain. Just my opinion
    dont want to go through this Epic vs Stumpy line as this line of thought is already being burned in other posts but you seem to be one of the rare ones to have both bikes -- so I am just curious why you are faster on the Epic ... is it because of the handling? ... does the frame geometry have something to do with it? ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Maybe i'am wrong and it is because of the wheel/rims. Could it be that?

The Other Dude
    The brain is one SWEET piece of equipment. After riding one, and talking with McAndrews (the one that invented the specialized and fox brain design) I would not buy another xc style bike without one. It allows the shock to totally ignore rider input, and only react to trail input. Thus making a much more efficient riding mountain bike.

I was actually just on the phone last night with Mike for a good while, and the work and trials he put into making this shock is amazing. And how he got it all to work is even cooler. The inertia valve design has been around for a long time now, it started in the auto industry, then he made it work with bikes, its a technology i am glad to have on my bike!

Go with the fox brain, or the specialized brain, either one is great, and you WILL feel the difference. I personally like my new specialized brain on my epic, its sweet, it doesnt have the on/off feel that the fox shock has, its reacts super fast, and is really smooth. On the up hills, it feels just like a hard tail, and on the downhills it seems to be fully open, its great!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

The Other Dude
    Maybe i'am wrong and it is because of the wheel/rims. Could it be that?
    It could be a bunch of things, bent wheel, tire not seated properly, hopefully your rear triangle is not bent, but i can assure you it is not from the placement of the shock, take it to your local bike shop, they will tell you for sure.

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    "is it because of the handling?"- Yes

" does the frame geometry have something to do with it?"- Yes

I own the '07 stumpy expert, and 2 of my siblings own '06 epics, and everytime we switch bikes, I ride faster through the exact same singletrack trail using the epic. Agility and efficiency are the words we use.

This is not a which is better thread, I just wanted to share my opinion with regards to the inquiry on the Epic with brain.

I love my stumpy, and I've set it up to perform to my riding style, but my next "other" bike will be an epic just to mix it up .

Ride safe

Mythical Creature
    My test rides on a couple fo 2007 Epics were impressive. The geometry of the frames has evolved to what it ought to be - and more importantly - so has the Brain "system". That dang back wheel felt glued down, and the rear felt stiff, responsive, and nimble. No harsh initial bumps - just fluid, as promised operation.

$20 question is, (Black) Cabon frame or Pink Alum. frame!

follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Mythical Creature
    THAT is about as retarded an idea/theory I have ever heard here Mr. 6 posts!

follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey GlenzX u commin over to the Big Red soon?
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Jutt. You have a 06 S-works epic. How did you get the new Spec shock on the 06???

The Other Dude
    Its a VERY long story, its in a post here on MTBR if you want to look for it, but i have both the 07 Specialized brain shock, and the 06 fox brain shock for it. Basically i had an 07 epic marathon, and i had some issues, they sent me an 06 S Works carbon frame as a replacement frame, and told me to keep both the shocks. But the story is much more complicated.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY
    Hey GlenzX u commin over to the Big Red soon?
    *ahem*

Can't comment just yet

FWIW, I race a Stumpy HT 2 seasons ago. FAST and brutal and stiff.
    follow me on Twitter!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think it was bad move from specialized to manufacture their own shocks and forks. They should have left this job to FOX, which has 1000x more experience in this business. Specialized is best for frames, Fox is best for suspensions. But it all about money.

mtbr member
    Dude, the head guy from Fox moved to Specialized and designed the new forks/shocks... The experience came with McAndrews... Do your research before you make such a bold statement. And, in the end, yes it is all about the money. That is why McAndrews switched, but then again, what isnt controlled by money... Think about it...

The Other Dude
    I spoke with McAndrews the other night.....he is "The Man" when it comes to suspension. He said he just got back from Asia where the shocks are made. They actually have 2 plants over there, one for forks, and one for shocks. He said from being over there so much, and working for fox and rokshox, he sort of knows the "A List" companies to deal with and get supplies from over there, and not surprisingly, most companies (like fox, specialized and marzocchi) get most of their parts (like seals and sanctions) or have them made from the same "a list" suppliers/manufactures. So believe it or not, the specialized forks and shocks will be the same quality.....if not better.

It seems to me that specialized tries not to release a product until they KNOW its better than anything else out there. My personal opinion is they sure as heck accomplished this with their new afr brain shocks on the epics...........I eagerly await the arrive of their new fork

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I want to try the Felt Equilink. 130 of XC...
    Riding and loving it

mtbr member
    Thanks for all your opinions. My Bro-in-law just picked one up and should enjoy.