mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New question here. Fox 36 Float overkill?

Hi,

Just wondered whether you guys thought a Fox 36 float RC2 spaced to 150mm was a bit of overkill for a Stumpy Carbon Evo. Am I better going for a Fox 34 float as an upgrade to the Float RL that the bike came with? To keep warranty people happy I'll stick at 150mm!

Cheers

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Overkill stick with you current fork. If you a set on getting a 34 wait until your current fork needs serviced then upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Overkill stick with you current fork. If you a set on getting a 34 wait until your current fork needs serviced then upgrade.
    Thats what I thought.......I'd better get saving as the 32's will be needing a service pretty soon!!

Cheers,

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yep, you might be able to upgrade your rear shock internals to the current 2013 model while you are waiting on your new fork. Give fox a call, however if not I would just send it in for service. They usually have a quick turn around for service.

mtbr member
    I made the move from 32mm to 34mm on my 2012 SJ EVO Expert Carbon. Really happy with the upgrade. For most XC, singletrack, etc. there's not a ton of difference - which I view as a good thing. The fork is still light, climbs well, and feels great in the turns. However where this fork shines is the descents. I really feel the added stiffness at high speed and steep downs...much more confidence inspiring. Tech climbs in very rocky areas have also been improved.

Good luck...you'll be happy be you make the change but it's nothing urgent. Stock SJ is rockin'.

No Stranger to danger....
    I understand your worry OP ive got a 32 float on my reign, its like having two wet noodles up front, i love hitting a few city staircases with a bit of force, looking at it im worried its just going to snap in half, i dont think a 36 is overkill at all, to be honest a 32 fork looks to weak for any sort of riding especially if its 150mm..
    I cant believe giant put them on the 2012 reign.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I kind of agree about the 32's not being stiff enough. It does feel like the weak point in the spec sheet for me. I was interested in the Bos Deville as well but weak support from Bos has kind of put me off. Still an awesome bike though :-D I'll see what deals are around nearer the time.
    One thing I have learned in the last week is to not assume that the bike is ready to jump on and go after one of my kids decided to change the rebound on the rear shock to as fast as it would go! Thought the bike felt a bit odd on the climb..........then hit the descent and began to wonder what is going on, just before compressing the bike ready for a drop off (3ft) travelling pretty fast and having the rear of the bike flick me off like a rodeo horse! Anyway.....two busted ribs later and I will be checking all the settings on the bike before going out!

Cheers
    Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah its not good to mess with your suspension setting in large increments. One to two clicks at a time when your fine tuning from the stock settings. Speaking of 32s I have an 08 stumpy with 32s and recently got a new 2012 stumpy. The fork even though its a 32 seems stiffer and not as flexy as my old fox fork on my 08 stumpy.

By the way do you have your sag front and back properly set? I set mine at 30% front and back. Make sure you shocks and forks are in the open setting when you set your sag. Once your sag is set, fine tune your rebound/compression when your out on the trail from the stock setting.

Workshop: Setting Up Mountain Bike Suspension - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I put 36 floats on my comp evo and it's made the bike much better. The 32's that came with it aren't great at all when you start to push it downhill.

The 160mm gives a slightly more aggressive angle but well worth it. I was contemplating the 34's but it would have meant getting a new front hub/wheel for the 20mm axle.

scn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am psyched on the 36 Float RC2 reduced to 150mm on my Stumpy Carbon Evo, but it will ultimately come down to your preference. I am not much of an XC rider and the trails I ride on my Evo include DH trails. One of the biggest reasons for me to go for the 36 is because it is what I know and trust. It is Definitely better feeling to me than the Revelation that was on the Evo I demo'd prior to my purchase. The 36 I have now is also about 0.4 pound lighter than my previous 36, so it didn't seem like a weight penalty to me.
    Last edited by scn; 03-28-2013 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah it all boils down to what your trails are like and what suits your fancy. I have seen guys on hard tails go through some wicked stuff here in wyoming.

Here is one shot of some of our local trails in wyoming. A stumpy is plenty

skin and bones descent moutain biking Curt Gowdy state park - YouTube