mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Formula T1"s" brakes

Does anyone know what the difference between formula t1s brake is bewteen the t1? I cannot find anything and they look indentical except the color. It also looks like Specialized is the only company specing them oe.

Thanks

mtbr member
    That's probably OEM thingy for a specific brand.
    I got myself Formula The One R model.

That's basically Normal The One with RX lever and red parts instead of golden ones, which Formula made for Specialized who put those on 2012 carbon Stumpy's - and that color scheme worked for me even better as I ride 2011 S-Works Enduro (naked carbon with red coloration with a touch of white).

guy who follows this forum for Formula Canada explained that to me on my thread where I was asking, like you, about similar topic.
    Formula The One R - what the hell is that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think it is only the trim color. Some red in there rather than all black. My bike came with them, and so far have been great. I was wary because every Specialized bike I have bought had Avids, and they were all noisy as hell (rear mostly). I really like the feel of Shimano XT's, even the LX hydraulics work great. But the Formulas are very expensive brakes, and so far so good.

mtbr member
    compared to Formulas, Avids are toys.
    IMHO, only Hope is in the same league with Formula.

until recently, I rode mostly Elixirs and can't say I was always displeased with them, but moving to Formulas I realized just how much better Formulas are.

never rode Shimano brakes, but heard only good stuff about 2012 XT's. they're just sooo ugly to me. that's all.

Knob scrubber
    I've just bought a new stumpjumper expert with the formula T1s brakes, so far I'm very impressed. They have excellent modulation, and amazing power without getting grabby. I came off my last two bikes having xt's, which I absolutely love, so was a bit worried about moving to a new brake. No need to worry though as, in my opinion, the Formulas out perform the xt's easily.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    I just grabbed a pair cheap.
    The T1S brakes are T1 calipers (24mm piston) and Rx master cylinders. You can tell by the shape of the body, its less visually smooth than a full T1 setup.
    Part numbers for internals are different too by the looks of it. Not sure what the disadvantage is of the cheaper MC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy View Post
    I just grabbed a pair cheap.
    The T1S brakes are T1 calipers (24mm piston) and Rx master cylinders. You can tell by the shape of the body, its less visually smooth than a full T1 setup.
    Part numbers for internals are different too by the looks of it. Not sure what the disadvantage is of the cheaper MC.

These are the chain reaction ones right? What do you think so far? I'm debating over trying out these or getting another set of XT's.

mtbr member
    Colin from Formula Canada was helpful to me - again! - as I asked him about RXO brakes, which turned out to be RX cylinder with RO caliper, which I'm eyeing to get for my mini DH ride (plus price drop from regular RO's is like two-thirds down - talking 'bout good deal there).

he told me the difference there is that RX cylinder is a bit heavier than original, forged RO cylinder.

he also told me that's the only difference between RO and RXO.
    I think the same principle is being used for T1S and mine The One R brakes - cheaper but bit heavier with same or very similar perfomance as with original cylinders.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have had some issues with mine like the noise issues other than that they have been fine. Had the shop properly align them for me i bleed them just to make sure. They do grab much better than my old brakes so much that in the wet i crashed twice from front end washout with to much psi in the front tire. Have not crashed in over 20 years and 6 stitches on the elbow. So yes they do work well