Chairlift Connoisseur

Fork Suggestions for an '05 Hardrock?

I just picked up a '05 Hardrock frame and am now in the process of building it up. Obviously this frame is not going to set the world on fire and is not a "race frame" and that's fine by me.

I will be using the bike for trail & XC riding. The bike will not be used for anything aggressive or trails that are overly rough (I have my 43 lb. Versus Blitz for that). My main concerns are that the fork is relatively light and is good for climbing.

I'm a little out of my element here....(I usually do downhill type riding). The frame originally came with a 100mm fork, but would I be OK going with an 80mm fork?

As you might imagine, price is an issue here (I will most likely be buying used). Can those of you out there give me some suggestions? I should also mention that I don't care for forks made by Manitou as they have given me nothing but problems.

Thanks for your help!

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jeb4
    I just picked up a '05 Hardrock frame and am now in the process of building it up. Obviously this frame is not going to set the world on fire and is not a "race frame" and that's fine by me.

As you might imagine, price is an issue here (I will most likely be buying used). Can those of you out there give me some suggestions?
    Actually, I just swapped out a fork (from my 06 hardrock pro) last night. So I have a spare Marz MZ III here today... it is not a great fork, but it should go well with your frame, is v brake or disc compatible (would need posts for v brake), has star nut, steerer SHOULD be long enough. The fork has only been ridden on about 4 months. I will sell it for a reasonable price-let me know if you are interested or it will be going on ebay.

Jamie

Chairlift Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by yates1012
    Actually, I just swapped out a fork (from my 06 hardrock pro) last night. So I have a spare Marz MZ III here today... it is not a great fork, but it should go well with your frame, is v brake or disc compatible (would need posts for v brake), has star nut, steerer SHOULD be long enough. The fork has only been ridden on about 4 months. I will sell it for a reasonable price-let me know if you are interested or it will be going on ebay.

Jamie
    PM'd you

mtbr member

Fox

Get a FOX TALAS RLC!
    Just a lowly bike mechanic.

Specialized Enduro Expert w/ Double Barrel
    Specialized Gangster
    Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer