I'm with stupid

Fork for my enduro?

Wondering what you 2010/2011 enduro guys would do as far as a fork. Im running a 160 domain coil on mine right now,as that is what i pulled off my old bike. Was planning on getting a new fork over the winter. What do you guy think i should put on there. I do everything with this bike from epic all day to shuttle to winter park and sol vista runs. Problem i have with domain that im trying to get rid of are, Heavy. 6.5 lbs is a bit much. Not high or low speed compression just over all compression and the high speed ramp up is way to much i over only gotten full travel one and it when i landed nose firsat of a 5' drop after over shooting tranny. I get average of 130-140 on most rides. So help with advice. thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    RS Lyric coil DH damper 170mm. Anything longer and the cornering goes to crap.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    I've been really happy with the e160 so far, stiff, plush, and light. It rides high in the travel until it's time to get busy.

eBiker
    I would stick to 160mm and get something with quality damping.

Quality damping will always be better than a little bit of additional travel.

Lyric, Float, Vanilla, etc.

P

wretch
    Im was skeptical about the e160 . . . that was until I rode it and dialed it in. Plush, tuneable, and good weight.

I'm with stupid
    So the e160 is that good huh? I was hearing on a few reviews that it kinda felt like it was holding the ride back. Can anyone custom tune this fork. I know push does not touch it. Can anyone compare the e160 to a fox talas or lyric?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    36 Float. No better AM fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have the DH compression and rebound dampening on my Lyrik (160mm) and I love it. Goes over bumps much better than my '09 Vanilla (140mm) I had on my old bike. Some of that is the extra travel, but it just seems to soak things up like they are not there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    36 Fox Talas 2011!
    Light, plush, beautifull and strong!

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lmgarcia
    36 Fox Talas 2011!
    Light, plush, beautifull and strong!
    Compare a Talas to a Float and you'll see how the travel adjust valving on the Talas ruins the forks HF sensitivity.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Get the Lyrik man. It's a great fork. Make sure you get the DH version (RC2 DH). This gives you low/high speed compression and rebound adjust, and you can get all of the travel out of if you want. It comes with a easily removed/installed spacer to make it a 160mm or 170mm fork (Solo Air only), your choice. You probably want the coil if you are doing consistent 4+ foot drops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Do not get any fork over 160mm, as it will void the warranty and throw off the bikes handling, especially cornering.

Have to agree with JCL.
    Rode bike with Lyrik on the 2010 model, liked it a lot, still something did not feel right. The ramp up at the end did not feel plush, and was often to squishy at the beggining, making me feel like the wheel would wash out on quick corners. Played with air pressures often and could never get it dialed in. You won't go wrong with this fork ,as it really does do well.

Then I rode the 2011 with the Fox Float, and was skeptical because there was no compression dampening system. That is until I rode the bike. It does not need that extra crap. This fork is without a doubt, the butta! Great bottomless feel, even when you nose in. The low speed is amazing and really sucks up the trail without you feeling the fork. I rarely use more than 145 mm of the fork, but on bigger hits have used all but around 5mm. Fox just makes good shiz! Their warranty and customer service does suck though. So just make sure you maintain bike well.

But if am plush is what you want, then stick with coil

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pocbiker
    But if am plush is what you want, then stick with coil
    The Float is an air sprung fork. Are you referring to the Van? Am I missing something here?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to say that while the float is a great fork, it still won't feel as plush as many am coil forks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pocbiker
    Do not get any fork over 160mm, as it will void the warranty
    is that true?

since the evo enduro seems to have the same frame and they put a 170mm fork on it, maybe the normal enduro can take 170mm too, without warranty issues!??
    need to find that out!

Waiting for peace
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    So the e160 is that good huh? I was hearing on a few reviews that it kinda felt like it was holding the ride back. Can anyone custom tune this fork. I know push does not touch it. Can anyone compare the e160 to a fox talas or lyric?

Send it in to Specialized through the local Spec. dealer along with your weight and terrain that you ride in and the technician should have no problem tuning it up!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    From the Enduro instruction manual:
    "WARNING! The Enduro frame is compatible ONLY with single crown forks that have travel of 6.3” (160mm) or less. Use of different styled forks or forks with longer travel may result in catastrophic failure of the frame which may result in serious personal injury or death."

I'm with stupid
    I think it has more to do with axle to crown length. Does anyone have the numbers on a axle to crown on the domain/ lyrik, e160 or the 170 van off the new evo or the 180 evo? Reason i ask is because my lefty has a 505 axle to crown and 140mm travel and the pike has 140 travel with a axle to crown of 518.

Edit,
    Lyrick and domain 160 545mm
    domain 180 565mm
    fox 180 564mm
    spec e160........????

So i imagine that the 170 on the evo is around 555mm to 565mm can a evo owner throw a tape on theres and see as well as a e160 owner. thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    E160 is the same length as my 2011 talas 160. As far as forks go, the e160 is really hard to beat, i sent mine in to have it set up better for my style. I think it works better than my 11 talas, but it doesn't have a lockout and i didn't want to chance the carbon steerer and crown for the couple DH races a year I do with it. The fox is slightly stiffer, e160 is more plush, dampening is similar. I've been keeping it as a spare, but if its something youre interested in , let me know I may part with it at some point.

I'm with stupid
    PM a parting with price, we might be able to work something out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    From the Enduro instruction manual:
    "WARNING! The Enduro frame is compatible ONLY with single crown forks that have travel of 6.3 (160mm) or less. Use of different styled forks or forks with longer travel may result in catastrophic failure of the frame which may result in serious personal injury or death."
    you're right, thats what thay say, but i read somewhere that on another model, think it was the epic, only 100 mm forks were toleratet, now that they have the epic evo, specialized set the limit to 120mm for all epic frames, even the 2010 ones!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The e160 fork is good but it gets sticky very fast. You have to lube the stanctions every ride. I do not think they put much oil on the seals? My old Fox Talas has never been serviced and never lubed up and is always sensitive to small bumps. If you do not lube the e160 stanctions the small bump sensitivity is very bad (it is hovewer very good when serviced) This was also the case on the previous e150 fork. FOX has Kashima coat on the 2011 which I think is a good idea to avoid this kind of problem.
    No wonder the e160 is light! there is no oil in the fork!!

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by superstian2
    The e160 fork is good but it gets sticky very fast. You have to lube the stanctions every ride.
    Sounds like you need a semi-bath oil refill. A stupidly common problem with all forks these days.

P