Thread: Fork Decision

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Fork Decision

I have a 2003 Hardrock Pro Disc with the original Judy TT100 fork which I am looking to upgrade. I ride mostly in the city and Potapsco State Park. The park is considered a XC course.

When I found the definitions of different types of biking on the Marzocchi site, it made me wonder what category of fork I need to get: http://www.marzocchi.com/system/5673...AL_WARNING.pdf

Basically what it says in there is the moment you jump something, you are no longer in XC use of the fork and into All Mountain/Freeride.

I also use the bike for riding in the city, where I jump stairs, so basically 4-6 feet to flat. That throws the bike into the 4X/Dirt Jump and Freeride/Downhill category.

All this makes me wonder what type of fork I should get? I was looking at the Rockshox Dart3 but it looks a bit flimsy. Then the Marzocchi 44RLO or Tora, but they are more for XC and trails.

I am not a weight weenie with this bike, but I don't want to put an anchor of a fork on.

If I look at a heavier fork, I could get the Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2.

Basically, I am confused about what to get and the more I read, the more options I find and the more confused I get.

What I am looking for is something plush, 100mm travel, preferably with remote lock out and strong enough to take small drops of about 4 to 5 feet. Any help?

Thanks

cougarbait
    you can get a fork that will take a 6ft drop to flat, but I doubt the rest of your bike will hold up unless you are a trials superstar and a super featherweight
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm 6'2" and weigh 155lbs. When I land, it does not jar your teeth loose. I land in a controlled manner to avoid beating myself up. Also, I only jump down stairs that I can ride/jump back up as a way to avoid jumping something crazy big.

I am also looking to upgrade the wheelset to a 20mm front axle, so Im looking at a fork that can take that while Im in the process of replacing the fork.

mtbr member
    Sounds like an RS Argyle or a Marz DJ if you want a 20mm TA. Fox's DJ offering's got a 15 QR axle. You might have better luck asking over at the fork/suspension forum or in the urban/dj forum.

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by tnevaneb
    I'm 6'2" and weigh 155lbs. When I land, it does not jar your teeth loose. I land in a controlled manner to avoid beating myself up. Also, I only jump down stairs that I can ride/jump back up as a way to avoid jumping something crazy big.
    Quote Originally Posted by tnevaneb
    basically 4-6 feet to flat.
    the hardrock was/is meant to be a XC bike, which is the exact opposite of a 5ft drop to flat. I think you'd be best served building or buying a DJ/FR hardtail.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    I agree with Lambda. Youre going to bust that frame. It isnt made for the type of riding you are talking about. You will get away with it for a bit, but you will end up with a busted frame and even a busted face. Sell it and get a DJ or an AM hardtail. You need something buff. A hardrock isnt going to do it. A frame with the proper welds and gussets to take the abuse you want to dish out. Its a much wiser investment than riding a bike not built to tackle what you are throwing at it. Buying a fork and slapping it on that hard rock will be like putting lipstick on a pig. The hardrock is a fine bike, it just isnt built for slamming around on urban stuff.

Religion = Non-thinking
    your components on the hardrock WILL NOT withstand 5 ft+ drops.

by components i mean rims and spokes, and maybe not stem/handlebar/seatpost.

i suggest getting a new bike made for that
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I currently have a Big Hit 3 and the Hardrock. I figure the Big Hit has no problems with launching down flights of stairs and drop offs, the problem is hopping backup, when the suspension flexes, I lose my balance and fall over. The Hardrock holds still and climbs right up. I am now looking for a Specialized P for city play.

Back to the original question about the fork for the Hardrock. At Potapsco State Park, it is considered a XC trail, but there are several areas with drop offs, most are 1 to 2 feet, but some are much larger at 3 to 5 feet.This is what makes me wonder what type of fork to get to handle the situation. I think the reason the Judy has stood up to the task for so long is because it is a stiff fork.

Any suggestions for a XC fork that can take drops off fallen logs or steps caused by roots holding dirt on a hills side?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    lol this looks like a familiar thread...
    09 spec rockhopper comp disc - charcoal grey

mtbr member
    what is your budget for the fork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Under 300, but no more than 400. If the $300 sucks and a $350 rocks, ill pay the extra to avoid the headache

mtbr member

cougarbait
    I wouldn't recommend a RS fork with the 302/SL damper. It is poor performing.
    the argyle 318 has a 20mm maxle, is meant for urban/DJ, and has the nice moco damper
    http://www.amazon.com/Argyle-318-Coi.../dp/B000NNX25Y
    09AS-Rsl/09Six