mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Fork for a carbon S-Works Epic 2008

Hi,

I plan to built a S-Works Epic 2008.
    I will buy the frame and use mainly the parts I have in my HT
    Can anyone tell me if I can use the F80 Fox fork I bought 6 months ago?
    I know the 2008 Epic frame is designed to use a 100mm fork, what will be the impact of using my actual 80mm fork?
    Anyone has the experience?
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    The shorter travel fork would steepen the geometry of your bike by 1 degree. This would quicken up the handling also so in my opinion you would be better off getting a longer travel set of forks to go on it. You can always sell these on.

Other people's opinions may vary however.
    2008 Enduro Expert
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT
    2013 Yeti SB66 (WIP)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anyone ever tried a 2007 or 2008 Epic with 80mm fork?
    I understand that geometry will change.

Anyone ever tried both a FOX F80/100 RLC and a DT Swiss XRC80/100?

I am still waiting for the Epic frame and still not decided if I will change the fork to 100mm or not and, in case I do it, if I go again with a Fox or change to a DT Swiss.

Your help is very wellcome!

iRideSpesh
    Quote Originally Posted by josliver
    Anyone ever tried a 2007 or 2008 Epic with 80mm fork?
    I understand that geometry will change.

Anyone ever tried both a FOX F80/100 RLC and a DT Swiss XRC80/100?

I am still waiting for the Epic frame and still not decided if I will change the fork to 100mm or not and, in case I do it, if I go again with a Fox or change to a DT Swiss.

Your help is very wellcome!
    The only reason I can see for you to go for a 100mm fork is to compliment your rear epic suspension, I gues the rear linkage system is designed to work with 100mm front fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You know that you can change the travel of your fox right

You can make the 80 a 100. thats what I would do.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Change the travel of the Fox ?

Do you mean I can change the travel of the Fox I have from 80 to 100mm?
    Can I do it by myself or I need to send it to Fox expert?
    Where can I read about this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes.

All of the patrs of 80 and 100 mm fox's are the exact same. The 80 has a 20 mm spacer inside that makes the fork stop before extending the last 20 mm. You can remove it yourself, but you need to be fairly mechanically adept. I took mine out when I dissasembled my fork to install enduro fork seals. Check thier website they have pretty good instructions on how to get the fork apart there. Also any LBS should be able to do it for you for you. I would change the oil and the seals while you have it apart. The enduro seals rock so I would put those in there if you are taking it apart.
    www.enduroforkseals.com
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Pedalfaraway could be correct. I just serviced my 120RL yesterday and removed the 10mm spacer to make it 130mm. Mine was a stumpy take-off. But you have to know for sure that your fork can be modified this way, because not all forks are assembled that way. I called Fox about this and they said that it depends on retail model vs what bike companies want for that year. So say fox makes 140mm float this year and specialized wants a 120mm fork, they will insert the spacers into 140 to make it 120mm. But if Specialized wanted a 100mm fork and Fox makes a 100mm fork, then it wouldn't have spacers and you can't increase travel. Retail model forks can be reduced but not increased in travel. So it all depends on the year and exact model of your fork and if it's a retail version or take-off. Not all LBSs would be able to tell without taking the fork apart.

I would think if you are buidling such a nice bike you want it to be very well balanced, so I wouldn't put a 80mm fork on it, unless you can mod it to 100mm.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    I have an 08 Epic and put at F120 RLC on it to raise the BB a smidge, longer wheelbase by a smidge and rake out the angle a bit - works fantastic and handles like a dream.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

F 120

Did you use F120 from the start or first you tried one 100mm fork?
    What was the diference in ridding experience?

mtbr member
    F120 from the start. I rode an F100 Equipped Epic prior to my build and mine seems pretty much the same.