mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Fork Advice for my Hardrock, 85mm upgrade to 105mm ?

I have a 2003 Hardrock with an 85mm Manitou fork. After blowing out my fork I am in the market for a new one. Im leaning toward the Marzocchi Comp ETA fork with 105mm travel. However, I am worried about screwing up the bikes geometry. Is anyone here running a 105mm fork on a hardrock, if so hows the ride ? As a side note I saw that the 2003 HR pro runs a 100mm fork, I think that the PRO has the same frame as my hardrock. The published specs on the 2003 HR Pro are identical to my Hardrock ecxept the Pro is 1/2 inch taller and has a 1mm longer wheel base, everything else is the same. So if my Hardrock cam take a 100mm fork, is pushing that to 105mm of travel really a big deal ?

Thanks !!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehandelbars
    I have a 2003 Hardrock with an 85mm Manitou fork. After blowing out my fork I am in the market for a new one. Im leaning toward the Marzocchi Comp ETA fork with 105mm travel. However, I am worried about screwing up the bikes geometry. Is anyone here running a 105mm fork on a hardrock, if so hows the ride ? As a side note I saw that the 2003 HR pro runs a 100mm fork, I think that the PRO has the same frame as my hardrock. The published specs on the 2003 HR Pro are identical to my Hardrock ecxept the Pro is 1/2 inch taller and has a 1mm longer wheel base, everything else is the same. So if my Hardrock cam take a 100mm fork, is pushing that to 105mm of travel really a big deal ?

Thanks !!!!!
    Get it, you'll get used to the change in a matter of hours. I swapped an 80mm fork for a 100mm on my hardtail years back, after the first ride it did feel strange anymore.

Jim D.
    04 Stumpjumper Expert Disc
    10 Marin San Rafael

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It will be better on the downhill and slightly worse on the uphill. I have an S-works HT (1997) that I did this to. The decrease in performance on climbs is very noticeable in my opionion. It's better on the way down however.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

My GF has one..

and the hardrock doesn't seem to be badly affected, I am not sure if the head angle of the Sworks (such as the one the previous poster commented about) and hardrock are the same, but I would tend to say that the hardrock would take a longer fork without major issue....

Good luck,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks a lot, I just ordered the fork. As far as uphill preformance goes I suck going up hill so it cant get much worse !!!!, For those interested in this fork Blue Sky.com has a great deal going. They are out of the 04 model so they are selling the 05 model for 256.23 delivered to you house. I cant wait to try this fork out ..... swwweeeeettttt !!!

Here is the link to the deal on the Marzocchi MX Comp ETA, I think it a great price.

Thanks 4 the help.

Marizocchi MX Comp ETA - $256.23 Delivered