What are your suggestions?

Looking at:
    - Manitou Minute 3
    - Marzocchi All Mountain 1
    - Fox Talas RLC 130

Any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just put an '06 36 TALAS RC2 on mine. Only 2 rides so far, but it's brilliant. I'm not Mr. Big Drop, but I can do much bigger stuff with confidence with the 36. (kind of obvious, I realize) Last fork was the 130 TALAS which was very nice, too. With Fox' short (relative) axle-to-crown the 130 just felt a bit too cross country.

My 2 cents.

Old fart
    Aug 2005
    I run mine with a Pike Team Air. Very nice fork that is stiff and light. Also it has a low A-C measurement (520mm for 140mm travel) so it doesn't turn the bike into a chopper. Can be reduced internally to 130mm if you still think it is too high.
    Yeah baby!

Binge Rider

Can't Go wrong With a TALAS

I have a '05 FOX TALAS RLC (90-130mm) and can't think of a better fork. The '04 TALAS (90-120mm) came stock on the S-works Enduro, something to be said for that I think. The FOX 36 would also do the trick but a little big for me as the regular TALAS with 32mm stansions takes everything I got with ease. I think the frame calls for 120mm max, anything more (like my '05 TALAS when cranked all the way out to 130) changes the geometery (very little to even note) but probably voids the warranty. So if you do hang something longer than 120mm...it was set at 120mm regardless if something happens.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer" General Patton

[SIZE="1"]CAUTION: ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION CONFUSES ME[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Fox XTT ?

How about new 2006 Fox Float 130 XTT or Talas XTT ? They have the same trail tune setup as does the brain shock so it should be a perfect match.

At least in my frame there is a sticker that says that the max fork travel is 125mm. I guess installing a Talas 36 or something like that would void the warranty.

I have a Talas R in my 04 S-works Enduro and I'm planning to upgrade it to RLC and have it PUSH'd during the next service.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    How about new 2006 Fox Float 130 XTT or Talas XTT ? They have the same trail tune setup as does the brain shock so it should be a perfect match.

At least in my frame there is a sticker that says that the max fork travel is 125mm. I guess installing a Talas 36 or something like that would void the warranty.

I have a Talas R in my 04 S-works Enduro and I'm planning to upgrade it to RLC and have it PUSH'd during the next service.
    I like the idea of the Fox XTT forks but think they may be a bit too pricey. Cheapest I could find online was around $900! If money didn't have anything to do with it I'd more than likely go that route.

With that said, I found the TALAS 130 for around $550, Minute 3 for around $400, and the All Mtn 1 for a little over $400. I like the new Fox 36 RC2 but think that's far more fork than I need. I'm currently leaning towards the TALAS. Any reason for me to steer away from the Minute 3 or Marzocchi All Mtn 1? I plan on riding both cross country and all mountain on this bike so it needs to be tough but also somewhat light. Any other ideas?

Thanks for all the replies.

mtbr member

TALAS is great

Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    I like the idea of the Fox XTT forks but think they may be a bit too pricey. Cheapest I could find online was around $900! If money didn't have anything to do with it I'd more than likely go that route.

With that said, I found the TALAS 130 for around $550, Minute 3 for around $400, and the All Mtn 1 for a little over $400. I like the new Fox 36 RC2 but think that's far more fork than I need. I'm currently leaning towards the TALAS. Any reason for me to steer away from the Minute 3 or Marzocchi All Mtn 1? I plan on riding both cross country and all mountain on this bike so it needs to be tough but also somewhat light. Any other ideas?

Thanks for all the replies.

In that case, I'd recommend the Talas RLC. It really is one great top-quality fork. I'm very satisfied with my R-model although it's pogoing a little bit when sprinting. That the issue I'm going to solve with the PUSH tuning. It would make sense for you to get the normal Talas and if you feel like it later on, you will be able to upgrade it with Stratos ID or PUSH system and have a "pedal-platform fork" with custom tuning to suit your personal riding style.

I have some experience with Manitous that my friends are riding and let's just say that they are not quite durable. Marzocchis are great performance-wise but they are heavy (AM1 is over 2300g compared to Talas' ~1750g) and they have quite tall axle-to-crown height.

mtbr member
    The warranty is voided if the fork travel is >130mm. I think the AM1 is too tall for the Enduro's geometry.

That said, against the warranty grain, I put a Pike Race on my '03 Enduro S-Works frame and it flat-out rules.

If you're looking for all-mountain versatility, this is the fork for you:
    1. Affordable (much moreso than Fox's TALAS)
    2. Adjustable 95-140mm travel
    3. Tuneable: Motion Control is gaining a lot of praise (check out the shocks forum)
    4. PUSH mods will be available soon for the Pike (word around the campfire)
    5. 20mm Maxle makes steering and handling stiffer and more precise than any TALAS will give you.

Just my 2 cents, but I do not think you'd be disappointed with the Pike. There are also U-Turn Air versions available this year if weight is a major concern

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Enduro with Marzocchi AM/130mm Z1 is good...

I ran a 2004 Marzocchi Z1 FR SL (518mm a-c dim) with Enduro rear link in steep
    setting. Worked out great, head angle was around 69 degree-ish, BB height was
    raised to 13.25ish (no more pedal bashing). The current AM SL (same a-c dim)
    would be a good choice and not too heavy/expensive). The Fox is a good choice
    but the added 15mm of a-c height seemed to be a big plus on the 02-05 Enduro
    frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Vanilla 130 RLC?

Any votes for the Fox Vanilla 130 RLC? Seems like everyone loves them.

Binge Rider

Check you PM,,,

Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    Any votes for the Fox Vanilla 130 RLC? Seems like everyone loves them.
    I sent you a PM on my two cents...I guess 4 cents since I posted earlier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Could try the Pace RC40 / 41. The RC40 is coild sprung and features travel adjust, compression damping adjust and a bump sensitive lock down control, while the RC41 is air sprung and loses the travel adjust.

They're spot on for heavy duty XC riding, they're comparable in stiffness to the Fox and give a very plush ride. Both forks are very highly regarded here in the UK (I have RC40s on my 2004 Enduro) from both press and users alike, certainly mine are excellent.

2006 Pace forks have the option of a bolt-through QR which should boost the stiffness even further.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Getting closer to pulling the trigger

After reading what everybody had to say and doing some more research I think I've decided to go with a PUSHed Vanilla 130 RLC.

- Vanilla should require less maintanence than an air fork
    - Will be set up for me
    - Great price at just under $600 from PUSH in comparison to other forks that wouldn't be set up for me and would cost in the same range if not more
    - Light, although it's coil it still only weighs around 4 lbs

I would like the ability to have travel adjust like on the TALAS but I don't know if it's worth the extra money. The only thing I'm worried about is how the coil will feel in unison with the rear air shock. Anybody advise for/against this set up?

Binge Rider

Good job!

Great decision. I think the Vanilla is an excellent fork especially after reading your PM. I wouldn't suffer too much over loosing the Travel Adjustment on the TALAS - unless I am climbing steeps or going down them - I set it for the majority of the riding I am doing that day and forget about it. Rarely do I adjust it (geographics play into this - as I don't live in a huge mountainous area but we do have big hills.)

Also, I don't think you'll notice a difference either with an air shock in the back and the coil up front. Both are very plush. Hopefully, when you first ride it - it will feel natural to you because that's just how it is... and that's what it always felt like to you. Hope that makes sense? I would recommend sticking w/ the RLC model as opposed to just an RL. The lockout won't be such an issue - especially after it's been PUSH'd but being able to adjust the compression rate may help in dialing it in to match the air shock in the back (though I don't think you will hardly notice it regardless.) When you get it put together, post a pic on the Enduro S-Works thread. Enjoy