mtbr member

Float RP3 on Enduro 130?

Just wondering if anyone is running a Float RP3 on an Enduro 130 frame (2002-2004 style). If so, what % of rider weight are you pumping the shock up to. It seems like I'm having to run a pretty high pressure to keep the bike from sagging too much. Also, how do you have it mounted, Propedal lever facing the sky or the dirt? Does this affect the low-speed damping of the ProPedal system? Thanks in advance, guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a ‘05 Fox RP3 (7.875”) on my ’03 Enduro Expert. For single track woods, I run the shock at 135 psi, 6 clicks out on rebound, and the link at the highest BB setting. The lever is facing skyward and normally set in the middle setting. Gives me about 25-30% sag. I weight 165 lbs (- gear). Don’t know if running the level downward has any effect, but skyward, it works great. I can definitely feel the difference in each setting. Up front I run an ’05 Talas RLC at 127mm. Took a while to balance out both ends, but once set up, it works great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

dificult to balance?

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager
    I have a ‘05 Fox RP3 (7.875”) on my ’03 Enduro Expert. For single track woods, I run the shock at 135 psi, 6 clicks out on rebound, and the link at the highest BB setting. The lever is facing skyward and normally set in the middle setting. Gives me about 25-30% sag. I weight 165 lbs (- gear). Don’t know if running the level downward has any effect, but skyward, it works great. I can definitely feel the difference in each setting. Up front I run an ’05 Talas RLC at 127mm. Took a while to balance out both ends, but once set up, it works great.
    I have a 04' Z1 FR on mine, and wishing to put something more linear at rear to balance the bike (like upgrading to the rp3), so do u think the rp3 will match the linear feeling of a coil fork? I was planing to switch to a fox talas thinking it was a best match for the rp3 but if u had trouble balancing your bike it makes me doubt. Because the new longer rear shock and slightly longer stroke gives u more than 130mm at rear, maybe 140mm, and rise your BB; and u lowered the front to 127mm to balance!!!
    Some explanation with some detail would be greatly appreciated, like how do u feel the rear now vs before; and compared to the talas at full travel; what settings are u running on your fork, and things like that.
    thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Checocc,
    I know it sounds a little weird having my particular handling “sweet spot” at 127mm fork length matched to a 7.875” i2i RP3 (w/ linkage in highest BB position), but it works for me. Remember I currently ride in fairly tight singletrack and I’m looking at carrying as much speed as possible. Another thing affecting my handling is the difference in my tires sizes. I’m running a 2.35 Schwalbe Fat Albert Light in front and a 2.2 Specialized Enduro in back (the larger front tire effectively slackens the head angle). Heck, I even notice a handling difference with different seat heights.

Per your request, here are some details from my last ride in Freedom Park, Williamsburg, VA (tight to medium speed woods singletrack…very bumpy...lots of roots and whoops…no rocks). I weigh 175 lbs.

• Forks:
    o Air pressure: 58 psi.
    o Slow speed comp: 3 clicks from full soft (5 from hard is std).
    o Rebound: 7 clicks counter clockwise from full slow (6 is std).
    o Blow off valve: 3 out from hard
    o Lock out lever: 12 O’clock (full open).
    o One click from full extension (127 mm travel).
    o Sag 27%.

• Shock:
    o 135 psi.
    o Propedal on middle setting.
    o Rebound at 6 of 12 clicks.
    o Sag 31%.

This setup gives me razor sharp handling and I can pick virtually any line I want. It’s balanced enough to allow me to pitch it in too hot and drift both ends consistently and predictably.

The OEM bike had the 125mm psylo and Float RL. The psylo was too flexy and lacked damping. The Float RL was ok, but had serious bob whenever I pushed it. The RP3 gives a nice controlled ride, while virtually eliminating the bob. I think the 3 PP settings are very functional and I can clearly feel the difference. Probably the best upgrade I’ve made on this bike. I’ve tried the Talas at higher and lower settings, but always seem to come back to 127mm for the woods.
    Hope this helps,
    Bob