mtbr member
    Apr 2006

First time mountain bike that'll pull round town double duty

I'm looking to get a bike that I can use to go out trail riding (my roommate goes fairly regularly) and to use around town. This would be my first "real" bike and I've never gone offroad other than kiddie BMXing around the neighborhood when I was younger.

I'm basically looking for something I can ride on the bike trail (Rock Creek Park, DC) and on the streets if I wanna go see a friend or go do something downtown that I could also use to go out with my roommate on the weekends.

My brother works at a shop, and can hook me up with some pretty good deals on what they carry. After checking out some things and riding them around, I basically settled on either the Rockhopper or the FSRxc, with my discount, the price difference is about $300 between them.

The Rockhopper seemed entirely adequate for what I see myself doing, but in test riding, I made sure to drive through potholes and over curbs, and the FSR seemed much more comfortable over the rough patches (and if you've ever been in DC, you know the roads are horrible).

I just don't know which one would work best for me. If the Rockhopper does everything I need and I can save $300, then that'll make me happy, but if its smarter to upgrade to the FSR (especially while I have the deal), for the sake of potential should I start riding a little harder, then I can do that. I'm just not sure that the FS is ideal for around town, but I was attracted to the fact I can lock-out the shocks if I want.

Any input?

Life is Good
    I'd go for the FSR. The FS isn't going to be any REAL disadvantage to you while riding around town, plus it has the extra comfort and upgradeability/trail versatility if you need it.

I have an older Rockhopper hardtail as well as an Enduro, and I take my FS just about everywhere... trails, around town, its good for everything.

mtbr member
    If you get hooked into off-road riding like the rest of us, you will be glad you spent the extra $300 for the comfort and versatility of the FSR-XC.

mtbr member

Get the FSR

I agree with Lumbee and Judd go ahead and get the Stumpjumper you wont regret it. It is one great bike. Even if you never go off in the woods--you will be more comfy and you will look cool. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    My advice: get the FSR for trails and a walmart bike for around town. The FSR wont last 5 minutes parked out on a downtown street.

mtbr member

Prod is right

Prod is right-I wouldn't leave my Stump for a second tide to a post in DT DC or anywhere else for that matter. If you have to leave the bike unattended for a while get a beater for around town. Hey Prod- your Red Stumpy is freakin nice, I love that paint- I saw a dude in north Atlanta yesterday with a similar paint that was sweet

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the input guys. I certainly like the options the FSR gives me, and as long as the FS wouldn't be a hindrance around town, I'll likely go with that. The fact I would have a solid base to upgrade with would be really nice should I get into it.

I was certainly concerned with theft, and even though for most uses I don't think I'd be locking it up (friends would let me bring it in, cruising around the Mall and such I'd have it with me) there would certainly be times I'd have to (gym, errands, etc.) and I wasn't too confident with that. The ol' DC is still DC.

But if I can get an old beater or Wal-Mart special (roommate actually has one as well) I suppose that would make me feel safer on those instances where I would be locking it up.

So if the FSR would be an effective means of getting around, I certainly think it would be more comfortable in doing so, and it would give me a lot more options on the trail.