mtbr member
    Jul 2012

First Specialized FS

Hey everyone,

So my story is that one of those guys who got into the sport about a year ago, started with an entry level hardtail (GT Karakoram 2.0), and has fallen in love. I'm currently looking to upgrade to full suspension, but am on a fairly tight budget. I figured I'd jump on the 2012 sales now that the 2013's are coming out and have a few options that I'm considering. Any advice on which I should pull the trigger on?

2012 Stumpjumper FSR 29er ($2000)
    This one was a Demo at my LBS, so no warranty, but the price is really good for a stumpy. Not sure if it was a "take on the trail" kinda demo or just a ride around the parking lot one, but it has been maintained well. It's a nice bike but $2000 is really stretching my budget.

2012 Camber Elite ($1750)
    New from my LBS

2012 Camber Comp ($1480)
    New from my LBS

now the last two are both 26ers, and my LBS can't get any 2012 Camber 29ers. I'm a little hesitant to go from my hardtail 29er to 26" wheels, but I'm sure I'd get used to em.

any advice would be really appreciated!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Stumpjumper FSR & Camber are for different riding styles, what do you ride the most?

Spesh should still warranty the bike, frame is for life of ownership.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I ride mostly technical XC around southern Michigan, but I ride pretty hard. Go out of my way to jump when I can, and dabble in a little downhill when I have time to get to a mountain with a lift service. I figured the Epic was too XC focused for me, but either Camber or Stumpy would work well.

I'm not sure about the warranty though, the guy I talked with today told me because it was a Demo the warranty wouldn't cover it. Maybe because I would not be considered the first owner?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've also been scouring Ebay and my local CL, but a little nervous about buying used...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I bought the 2011 SJ FSR 29'er comp in March 2012 that was a demo last summer. The dealer I purchased it from and another closer dealer to my house have both serviced my bike under warrennty.
    2011 stumpjumper fsr comp 29er

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you jump & DH go for the Stumpy. The Stumpy is more trail oriented but it can still climb & is fast enough on XC to keep you satisfied.