mtbr member
    Jul 2013

First FS bike advice Stumpy Camber Camber Stumpy- firestorm!

I have a 2007 Hardrock Sport that I rarely ride. I mostly ride my Rockhopper SS 29er, but I am in need of a geared bike. I live in CO, and ride mostly trail, but will occasionally go to the ski resorts and do some downhill stuff, nothing major.

I have the opportunity to get a good price on several different bike options. I do not do huge jumps or anything like that, so here are my options and concerns:

2012 Stumpy FSR Comp: This is a 26" bike, which is my only concern. It is a bit over the top of where my budget should be.

2013 Camber 29: This is right where my budget SHOULD be, but I am concerned about the 100mm front travel, as that is the same as my 2007 Hardrock. The other components I can change down the road if needed.

2013 Camber Comp 29: Same price range as the 2012 Stumpy, but spec'd almost the same except for the shocks. Obviously the 29s are a plus, but the lower travel is a minus.

2013 Stumpy Comp 29: This bike has everything, but is over the top of my budget really. I could do it, but I would be stretching my funds to get it.

Please keep in mind where the bikes fall in my budget, my type of riding, and my concerns. I know I will get a ton of different responses, but all are appreciated. I am pretty much a weekend warrior. I have a wife and 4 kids, so daily trail riding is not an option for me, something that shies me a bit away from the Stumpy comp 29. I want something that will absorb more than my HT, but not kill me financially either. I also need to know that, should I spend the extra money, the extra travel is really going to be a benefit to the way I ride.

Thanks!

Waiting for peace
    As a rider and a seller of Specialized bikes, a mountain biker and ex-racer: Go with the Camber. It's a FUN bike to ride and when its well set up for the type of riding you do it will feel like it has way more than the 100mm of travel. It's easy to upgrade parts and get more travel out of it without negatively affecting its handling characteristics.

Camber = FUN BIKE to ride!!

I am projecting that you ride because its fun, because, after all, isn't that we are all here?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    SW- thank you for the advice. I have some good news. After mulling this decision for the good part of a week, I finally had a heart to heart with my wife (after buying her a new bike ) and basically laid out my options, basically poo-pooing the Stumpy 29. After I put everything out there, she said "There isn't much difference between the middle and the one you really want, so you might as well get the one you really want." So after driving myself crazy, I decided to blow the budget and get the bike I have always wanted... Stumpy... in 29er fashion. Can't wait to give her a ride this afternoon! I like the Camber, but I'm afraid there would always be that thing in the back of my mind saying... "coulda had a Stumpy."

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    As a rider and a seller of Specialized bikes, a mountain biker and ex-racer: Go with the Camber. It's a FUN bike to ride and when its well set up for the type of riding you do it will feel like it has way more than the 100mm of travel. It's easy to upgrade parts and get more travel out of it without negatively affecting its handling characteristics.

Camber = FUN BIKE to ride!!

I am projecting that you ride because its fun, because, after all, isn't that we are all here?!

Waiting for peace
    WOW what an awesome lady! Go for the Stumpy 29er if that's what you really want and she's okay with that!!