mtbr member

Finally got my bike back together - PHOTOS

Okay, so I've chatted with some of you on here about the project that I was working on - I have a 2004 FSR Enduro Expert frame that I had my old Rock Shox SID XL fork attached to and recently picked up a Spec E150 fork. The E150 is has a little more travel than the '04 FSR was designed for, but figured I'd give it a shot anyhow. I also picked up a set of Formula Oro K24 brakes to put on (although messed up the front hose that I was making, so had to install the original, slightly short hose - don't laugh). Finally got everything together this past week and headed out in a drizzle today with a friend of mine to the West Hartford Reservoir for some riding. SLIPPERY! I am also due for some new treads, but the rocks, roots, leaves, and logs were as slimy as fresh snot. I ended up taking a pretty hard digger as you'll see in the photos. Finally, don't laugh at the bar ends. I already know that it's not cool to sport bar ends and they've pretty much gone the way of purple anodized parts, but I loved them back in the early 90's and still love them. I like the option of changing hand position on climbs and they also help keep my hands on the bars. Flame away!

The bike handles well and I like the plushness of the fork. I did notice a little wandering on the climbs (it raises the head tube about 40mm over the stock Talus) but I also didn't change the altitude to the shorter setting much. Much stiffer than the old SID!

Nice goose egg on this last one!

all your base
    sid to e150, that is some change indeed.
    looks sweet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by primefocus
    sid to e150, that is some change indeed.
    looks sweet!
    It was a SID XL dual crown, but still... Old tech and only 100mm of travel. It's what I had around at the time when I built this frame. But it's about a 2 to 2"-1/2 "difference in head tube height over the old SID. The bike was a little "nose-down" with the SID.

From the factory Spec setup with the Fox Talus, the E150 raises the front about 40mm. Spec. customer service didn't recommend I install this fork on this frame (change in head angle could put added stress on the welds), but I can live with 40mm, and if the frame implodes, I'll source another one from ebay. So far though it seems to work okay. Thanks for the comment PF.

all your base
    np man, that fork really is sweet once you get it tuned to your liking. don't let people bash it. you have probably seen them, but there are some really good threads on tuning and maintenance for the e150 here on mtbr too.
    you might be a canidate for one of these as well (scroll down for the '04 enduro model)....
    http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co...s+and+Upgrades

boosts travel to 5.25-6", raises bb and stepens ha.
    thanks for posting your pics!

mtbr member
    Nice looking El you have there. Yeah, I'm going to have to ride and experiment with the comp. and rebound on the fork. Yesterday's ride was so slick and wet that I couldn't really even get a baseline.

I did check out the BETD link but just blew more $$ than I was planning, so the link will wait a little while. I just want to get out and ride the damn thing now that's it's together again! The other upgrades that are due are tires and a 180 or so front rotor (running 160/160) - but again spent more than I was planning on the E150 and Oro k24's.

BTW - love the Kramer picture. Classic.
    Last edited by CT_woods_FSR; 11-01-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Loser
    Just from the pic, it doesn't look like the head angle is bad with that fork. It is a great fork for what it was intended. I love mine...

Keep up on the maintenance - it makes a world of difference. I don't keep track of miles/hours exactly, but as soon as I feel the slightest bit of stiction, I do the slick honey treatment. I think I get 2-3 months in between treatments. After the first time you do it, it takes about 30 minutes to do (if that).

Oh and if you sweat a lot like I do - keep an eye on the philips head screws on the top of the fork - they rust, mine got to the point where I had to drill it out to get the knob off to do the service - my LBS is making me crazy with how long its taking for them to get a replacement...

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, John. I'm not sure the last time the fork was serviced, but I also don't think it's had much use. I'll be lucky to get a few more rides in before winter, so it will definitely get a tear-down pretty soon.