mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Finally, 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29er

So I stopped at the shop late morning today to drop off my trusty ol' 2004 Stumpjumper FSR, sold on eBay, and I want the bike shop to get it boxed up for shipment.

Well, my new 2013 Stumpjumper FSR had finally came in!! They had just taken it out of it's box to start assembling, and it was still all wrapped and zip tied together. Couldn't stay and coach them (haha) had to get back to work.

So, I just picked it up after work, got it home, weighed it up (without the plastic pedals). 27.3 lbs. Not too bad. And it still has tubes. Better than my 2011 Stumpjumper Elite 26er (29.4 lbs - with TIME ATAC XS Carbon pedals). Last picture is the 2011 without saddle.

I am going to do some swapping of parts before riding (and I have to wait anyway, too much snow, bummed)... Wheels are going tubeless with a little Stans Sealant, going to single MRP 30T Bling Ring and losing the crank spider and dual ring front derailleur and front shifter and cable. Also installing a MRP G2 SL Micro Chain Guide. This bike has the ISCG 05 tabs. Sweet.

Also slapping on my new spare SRAM PG 1080 cassette instead of the stock PG 1050 cassette that came with the bike. Seems like 130 grams weight saving right there.

Also have to sell the Black Lite 100mm dropper post that came witht the bike, it's just about an inch too tall and I can't insert it far enough into the frame (small) to get the saddle low enough. So I am putting my 75mm Black Lite dropper from the 2011 Stumpjumper into it instead. I have run into this problem before.

I am also installing my old Easton Carbon EC90 handlebar, and my Thomson Stem from my old bike. The 2013 came with a super WIDE aluminum handlebar. Crazy wide. So soon I will need to sell some parts. More eBay in my future...

My hope was to somehow re-use the beautiful Red Chris King disc hubs from my 2013 Stumpy wheelset. I might hold onto those and build up some carbon 29er wheels myself in the future, but for now not parting with them just yet.

My final concern is the Formula brakes. I have been a big Shimano XT brake guy since 2004. I have had 3 different varieties of XT, and they were all great. All the AVID systems tham came on my bikes SUCKED they were so horribly loud. I will wait and see if the Formulas are any goood after a few rides to break them in. I may install my old XT brakes onto the new bike too. Ah well. We'll see.

GO AWAY SNOW!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finally, 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29er-img_2140.jpg  

Finally, 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29er-img_2144.jpg  

Finally, 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29er-img_2145.jpg  

Finally, 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29er-img_2142.jpg  

Last edited by John; 02-06-2014 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Great looking bike!

How tall are you? ive got one coming in tomorrow that is a medium and im 5'8". I was on the fence about going with a small but decided on the M because that is what my FSRXC was.

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    Very nice. The Experts are killer bikes right out of the box.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MUDDYFSR View Post
    Great looking bike!

How tall are you? ive got one coming in tomorrow that is a medium and im 5'8". I was on the fence about going with a small but decided on the M because that is what my FSRXC was.
    I'm 5' 5" , 28 inch inseam (no shoes) . At your height, a medium is likely a good fit.

I just barley clear the frame for standover with work boots on, but this has been true for every bike I have had. I can say the reach is much closer than I'm used to but the bar is also very wide. I will go to my old shorter carbon bar, and put a slightly longer Thomson X4 Stem on there and see what the bike feels like after that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice bike!
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It is now at 26.6 lbs (no pedals) . The handlebar swap is done, Thomson stem (which turned out to be 40 grams heavier than the stock stem), and it's now tubeless. I also did the cassette swap to the PG 1080. I still have to drop all the 2X10 crankset drivetrain parts and go to single front ring, not sure exactly what that will do for weight. But I can't get a dang 30T MRP Bling Ring. They are backordered everywhere until after the 14th. Ah well... Patience... Hoping to see it near 25.5 - 26 lbs... Then who knows, in the Summer, CARBON WHEELS....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I wish I had one

Knob scrubber
    Sweet ride mate! I'll be ordering one for myself next week, unfortunately I don't think there will be stock available until march :-(
    Let us know how it goes once you have it dialled in, especially the brakes. That was my only real qualm as well, I've been riding xt brakes for a while. Enjoy the new wheels!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Real men do it in the dirt

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Little late to the party, but just picked up my new ride yesterday

Finally, 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29er-image_373.jpeg

Sat at 28lbs even (ok, 28.03) with pedals, bottle cage, pie plate, stock tires, and tubes.

Getting him dirty tonight!

I've pretty much only ever used Avid brakes (I have a set of Hope Mono-Minis I used briefly), so interested to see how the F1's fair over time.

mtbr member
    How goes the bike ???
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr comp
    1998 Specialized Stumpjumper S2(Metal Matrix)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
    How goes the bike ???
    For the 4 months I got to ride it, it was great. I ended up with changing to Shimano XT brake system, and making a custom single ring spider from the original SRAM 2x10 crankset.

Unfortunately, I had to abandon riding in mid July 2013. Herniated a disc in my back , L5-S1, crazy numbness and pain in the left leg/buttocks/foot, pretty bad, and ended up with micro-discectomy surgery to fix it in late August. That pretty much blew the rest of the year for me.

But, I have been out once since then, on New Years day. It was great to be on the saddle again, but man it HURT to be on the saddle again ha ha. Was I ever saddle sore. Then it became crazy cold, wet, snow, and I am waiting patiently for Spring to arrive. Doing some time on the elliptical until then.

mtbr member
    The red and black colors on that bike are definitely nice - its one of the best looking Specialized bikes in my opinion.