mtbr member
    Jul 2006

A few Stumpy Questions

I own a 06 stumpy fsr comp

I have heard concerns about the tires and wondered what options people suggest. I am not sure if they are not working well for me in the mud or I am simply getting comfortable with full suspension cornering in mud(vs my hard tail) The tires look huge for the size...like basketballs. Anyhow, not sure if it is tires or suspension.

Also, the shock stuck down factor- not yet, but I'll be pissed if it takes 2 weeks to get repaired. Should I send it somewhere now to be sure I am all set? The season is short in upstate NY.

Thank You

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 17J17J
    I own a 06 stumpy fsr comp

I have heard concerns about the tires and wondered what options people suggest. I am not sure if they are not working well for me in the mud or I am simply getting comfortable with full suspension cornering in mud(vs my hard tail) The tires look huge for the size...like basketballs. Anyhow, not sure if it is tires or suspension.

Also, the shock stuck down factor- not yet, but I'll be pissed if it takes 2 weeks to get repaired. Should I send it somewhere now to be sure I am all set? The season is short in upstate NY.

Thank You
    The stock tires work great as a front tire in almost all conditions but wet. I have found they don't have the best grip as a rear tire though. The large volume really helps to smooth out rocks and roots.

I am currently running the Adrenaline/Resolution up front and a Panaracer Cinder in the rear. This is a very good combination but I am looking for something that rolls a little faster.

Got Homebrew?
    I assume you have the stock 2.0 Spesh Resolutions? To me tires are a real personal thing. The tires I like someone else might hate. That being said I personally like the Spesh tires that came on my Stumpjumper (I think they're also 2.0 Resolutions despite the fact that the online spec says 2.1.)

As for the shock issue...if it ain't broke don't fix it. Maybe once the season ends you may want to send it to get PUSHed but for now I would just ride.
    Mountain biking is not about how fast you go, it's about how many new friends you have at the bar after the ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I appreciate the feedback - Any other would be much appreciated.

Based on the above I suppose the spesh and adrenaline are the same tire private labeled for S??

Thanks Again!!

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    I have the same bike, bought new in late 05. No problems with the shock. I'm using the same tire combo as Lumbee. I was getting good traction with the stock rear but too many pinch flats. Not 1 yet with the cinder.

The only thing I wish I'd done is pull the lower shock bolt every couple of months to clean and re-grease. I've got a little slop back there now. Other than that it's still tight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have the 06 Stumpy FSR Comp also and run the Resolution up front, and like it a lot. I use a Panaracer Fire XC pro in the rear. The resolution seems to last forever, had it for nearly a season and a half.

To Cobretti,

Try replacing the bushing on your lower shock eyelet.

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

Roll X Pro's here

the 06 dual compound version. I've been a huge fan of the Roll x Pro's for a few years now. I went thru a coupe of sets on my last Stumpy FSR. For me, they work good in all conditions. When converted to tubeless with Stans, they really shine.

I'm here in Central New York also, and I love their performance.

mtbr member
    In the SF Bay area, I run Kenda Nevegal 2.1 in my front and Kenda Small Block 8 2.1 in my rear. This is the fastest rolling set I've ever had, and works incredibly well. I plan on keeping this combo for awhile. Perfect for the hardpack dirt we have here. I honestly never used the Specialized, although I do here great things about the Roll X's. Btw, I run UST...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you're looking for a pair of mud tires - look no furhter than Bontrager Mud X - absolutely awesome in mud, the resolutions are rubbish for muddy conditions. I've been running the Mud X's all winter here in muddy UK - they have great grip, don't pick up much mud they've been a massive improvement over the stock tires supplied with my stumpy FSR.

mtbr member
    I have heard good things from Maxxis tires but my resolutions still have life in them so I will have to wait to try them.

mtbr member
    I love the Specialized Adrenalines 2.0 on my 2006 Carbon Stumpy - looke good, gripped well and fast but I had 3-4 puncture flats last year so I swithched out to Maxxi Ignitor 2.35 tubeless- great traction, no flats but not as fast. If I could do it over probably reduce tire size to a 2.25-2.1 Maxxi would have been perfect.