mtbr member

Few questions on a SJ 6F

Its the Comp model. Orange aluminum one.

1. What type of rear axle does it use? It looks like a Syntace x-12...is it?

2. The rear shock lockout does not seem to work anymore. I rarely use it. Re adjusted the air pressure with the Autosag. Did I inadvertently mess something up? Its a Fox DPS.

3. Does the front hub need "torque caps" I'm having another set of wheels built for it and have no idea what they are.

4. The Command post has some play at full extension and all the way down. When I extend it all the way and sit down...I can feel the post slightly move down...like its settling into a detent. When I press the lever...it'll move back up. Its a pretty small movement...but I can feel a small click when I sit down. Its aired up to 20psi with a shock pump. It could have been something that was there when new and I just recently noticed it. Is it normal?

The bike was purchased new in September of 2016.

Thanks people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Regarding point 2. That's not normal. Autosag is silly, but it shouldn't affect the damping circuits. Can't hurt to remove the air and pump it back up, but that probably won't change anything. Have you had your shock serviced in it's 1.5 years of operation. If not, it's high time to do so.

Regarding the Command Post, that is normal. It's annoying but I've gotten used to it and live with it, since the dropper does what it's supposed to do.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As said, how much servicing does your bike get? Dropper posts get full of crap in poor conditions.

mtbr member
    The bike is only a few months old. It probably has 100 miles on it. It doesn't get ridden a whole lot. Is the lockout supposed to completely lock out the rear shock? I have a DB air with the climb switch on my Banshee and the shock does not lock out all the way. The rebound is mad slow with the climb switch on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The lockout works very well, and the shock functions well in both open and trail mode.

There's a huge thread on this bike in the plus forums. You can find out more about it than you really want to know.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've posted a few times in the SJ6F thread in the Plus forum and got crickets. I don't think you'll get much of a response in that forum unless you're talking about how awesome plus bikes are.

waiting for a piece (.45)
    Your command post is one that escaped the Taiwan production facility without Loctite on the keys. I have had a few come back in that condition over the last 8 months or so. Usually the complaint is of a "clicking noise" or something like what you describe. The repair is easy and just requires that you have Permatex 640 (retaining compound) or Loctite Red on hand other than a few basic hand tools, a liquid cleaner and a clean rag.

The repair: Let all the air out and unthread the collar completely, loosen the seat clamp and remove the cable from the bottom of the post. You'll need a small flat bladed screwdriver to remove the upper section with the seat from the lower section which goes into the bike. Activate the lever on the bottom of the post to remove the upper section completely. Take the screwdriver and pop the two brass keys off and put those aside of a minute.

Grab a new, clean and lint-free rag ( i.e.: old t-shirt) and clean out the area where the keys sit with rubbing alcohol or simple green or bike wash or something that doesn't leave a residue / oil ( like WD40... very oily!) Brake cleaner from the auto parts store works nicely. Also clean off the two brass keys. The keys are identical and only fit into their slots one direction so there is no left-right/ or up-down to worry about.

Take your loctite red or green and put a big gob in the middle of the two slots that hold the keys in place on either side and slide the keys into place. I _always_ push both keys deep into their slots with a pair of slip joint pliers to make sure they are seated. Grab your clean rag and wipe off any excess loctite that squeezed out from under the keys now, don't wait until later.

Set the top of the post with the saddle down and the top of the post upright. and come back no less than 24 hours later when the loctite has dried. Put your post back together ( make sure that you use the activation lever on the bottom to get the post in more than the one detent, otherwise the collar will be more work than it needs to be).

Air that beast up and try it out!
    Track-Standing at the threshold