Don't Stop Spinnin'!

Few questions about the 2011 S-Works Epic 29er...

I recently placed an order on the new 2011 Epic S-works 29er frame. (floyellow)

I plan on building it with the components of my choice...

The 175mm s-works cranks are on back order till april... what other crank options do i have? do I have to stick with the s-works to get the "maximum performance" out of the bottom bracket system without using adapter kits? would the new xtr cranks work?

secondly, I have a complete 9 spd shimano XTR group... will this group set work untill I get the new 10 spd XTR? in other words will a 1x9 or 2x9 work?

and last... the frame comes with a rear hub... what rim would you guys build around this hub?

any help will be appreciated...
    ~every end is a new beginning...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good job!

I'm not an expert but recently got the same frame. I'm pretty sure you need to use the Specialized crank set or adapters that come with the cranks. I'm not sure if they are sold separately.

Secondly, I'm not sure which manufacturers make direct mount front deraillerus besides SRAM. You can mount a XX S3 front derailleur and use the rest of your XTR group without issue. I've read that E-type front derailleurs with the plate removed will work but have no experience with that.

Thirdly, if you are going to build up a rear wheel, weight dependent, I'd go with a Stans Crest 29er rim. Light and strong and it has a short sidewall so you can run low tire pressures.

I'm in the process of building mine up. Just waiting for my tax return to buy the wheels. Once it's set up I'll post pics. Good luck, you're going to love the color.
    Last edited by erichwic; 02-09-2011 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am done frameset to bike and rode my first ride sunday. yes the adapters that come with the frame allow you to use M970 XTR parts or M980 XTR parts.... including cranks 1-2-3 x 9 or 2 0r 3 x 10 ..... I did get the s works crank and its oversized and made only for this bottom bracket.. my friend mark put on the new M980 XTR 2x10 crank with the included adapters,

the hub comes with sucks 16 or 18 pawls of engagement vs the 32 better hubs. if can afford get the rovals carbons 142+ and use them all day

good luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    personally went with the old xtr set up for everything else to save dough.... rides great and sits at 24 lbs exactly

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Go with XX. you wont regret it....... I told you this already..

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Thanks for all the help guys...
    ~every end is a new beginning...