mtbr member

Felt Nine Race vs Specialized Rockhopper Comp

I currently own a 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Comp. I picked it up last August/September and have been enjoying it ever since. However, considering my financial situation is a bit better right now, I'm starting to realize that I can afford a bike with better components.

I have a buddy at work that wants to get into mountain biking and is willing to buy the Rockhopper from me. As a result, I've been looking at the Nine Race.

I know I'm going to get biased feedback from people in this forum, but I'll ask anyway: is this a better bike? And if so, marginally or substantially? Specialized has a pretty solid reputation. How's Felt's? Customer service?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. - I posted this in the Felt forum and have gotten no replies whatsoever....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The felt 9 race is a big jump up from the spec. rh 29er comp. Whats your budget? Sell the bike drop at least 1500 and get yourself a nice bike with good components. Specialized customer service is great. They sent me a 09 co2/handpump for free after I lost an adapter piece for one of my 04 model.

mtbr member
    I was also considering staying with Spesh. Selling the RH Comp and picking up a Stumpjumper HT Comp 29er.

Mountain Man Dan
    I say upgrade the RH. It's a good frame. You can make a sweet as bike out of it.

mtbr member
    That was always an option, but my buddy at work has shown interest in taking the Rockhopper. So, that presents the opportunity to pick up the bike with the components already on the bike.

Mountain Man Dan
    And if you upgrade the hopper you will have a totally sweet ass custom bike. Not a stock bike everyone has.

mtbr member
    Damn, that's intriguing.

Mountain Man Dan
    I know. I've been building my 10' Rockhopper Comp and every upgrade I do to it makes it more and more rare because it's getting farther and farther away from a stock bike. I love it.

mtbr member
    I checked out the SJ Comp 29er at my LBS on Friday and I picked it up today. I couldn't get over how light the frame was, how nice the 29er rides, and how nice it looked. Even though its got much better components than the Rockhopper, its still got potential for future upgrades.

For example, a great upgrade would a 2x10 crankset.