Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Fatboy rear hub issues...

Anyone else having issues with Fatboy rear hubs? 3 of us ordered Fatboy comps last fall and waited patiently for their arrival. One arrived around Christmas and the other two mid February.
    As of last night all 3 rear hubs have failed. The December arrival went first back with snow on the ground and last night the remaining two had to be walked out of the woods.
    Love the bikes but hoping this rear hub issue can be resolved. The first one supposedly broke the rear axle and then other stuff went from there. Not sure about mine and the other guys as we haven't made it to the shop yet. I only have 10 or so rides on mine and it broke on my first dirt ride...no drops ever so if my rear axle broke that is not good...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey! I had my rear hub fail too recently. I did about 15 rides when I noticed something funny going on in the rear. No jumps, no drops , just riding the singletrack but the bike should be able to handle those anyway. First it sounded like the tire was rubbing and when I backpedaled it made some funny sounds and the chain got slack and stuck. I took the wheel off, tried the axle and found it tight and rough and grinding. I immediately contacted my LBS and dropped my bike off there last Sat. They called me on Thu saying that the original hub is damaged and that they will replace it with a new one when they receive it from Specialized. My bike was ready on Sat and I picked it up on Sun and went for two hard rides to test it and all is good They had the bike for a week but in the mean time did a tune-up, service and checked everything as per my request. I saw the damaged hub and the internal parts were pretty scuffed and chipped and broken and the tech said that this has happened to other bikes as per Specialized. Everything was covered by warranty and I didn't have to pay one penny Not sure why the older hub failed and I sure hope the new one works perfectly

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Good to know! The Specialized Rep told our LBS that we were the only failed free-hubs he knew of. I find that hard to believe or at least know it won't be for long because, like I said, I had less than a dozen tame rides on mine.
    They were great about replacing the free-hub no charge and the new one is different. It has a hole with a very small allen key in one of the splines and that was not present on the original free-hub body. Not sure what it's for...grease perhaps or maybe to add a couple drops of oil for riding in sub zero temperatures. But regardless, I've had two rides since replacing and all is good for now.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just dropped my bike off at the bike shop last night after 3 miles of bushwacking to get out of the woods after my freehub completely stripped out. Sounds like maybe there is something to this! I have probably about 15-20 rides on the bike and didn't notice anything until I was a deep into the woods last night, it felt like my rear tire slipped going up a small rock climb (but these big wheels never slip any anything) tried again and noticed the crank spinning but little if any power actually going to the rear wheel. LBS said they haven't seen this on the Fatboy but were going to check with Specialized to see if this was an issue, sounds like it is starting to become one! Hopefully they do the right thing here, I know mine was one of the first bikes shipped out to the east coast so maybe they have made some improvements, I've never had a rear hub strip out in 22 years of mtn biking so this was a first.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Figured it was just a matter of time. To much coincidence that we went 3 for 3 from same bike shop up here in little ole Vermont . Specialized will take care of you and if you remember look to see if the replacement freehub has a small allen key'd hole in one of the splines of the free-hub body. Original didn't on ours but the replacement does. If anybody knows what that's for I'd love to here about it. Thinking it's for changing viscosity of grease to the pawls for cold weather riding but seems like you'd still need to disasemble and clean old grease out first so why the hole?
    Anyway, your hub failure sounds just like ours. Part way into ride you feel a slip (and like you said, these tires don't slip) and then it happens again on something steep and poof, you're all done. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The same thing happened to me, lucky it was at the end of my ride. I took it to the lbs where I brought it and they told me specialized NZ said it would be covered by warranty but would be a few months before they got the replacement wheel. I told them it wasn't good enough. They then sent me a new wheel from a bike they had in stock.
    Love the bike and glad its fixed but wonder how long before the new one fails as this seems to be a universal faulty hub issue.
    Last edited by muttongun; 08-18-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey Guys!
    Bummer I had my hub replaced a while back and all was good till yesterday. I was descending a nice hill and the chain jammed, everything got locked up and I got thrown off the bike. I was okay but my shorts were torn, I lost my cool shades, twisted my ankle lightly and noticed a gauge in my chain stay. Had to limp back 7k back to my car You can imagine that I was pretty pissed off... I mean this happened again and looks like they just replaced a defective damaged part with another defective new part which of course failed. I called the LBS but the manager wasn't in and the tech said to just email him. I am sending it shortly. I checked my log and I have about 15 rides on my Fatboy before the hub failed again an I think I did @ 15 rides before the first time the hub failed. This is the 2nd time this has happened and after a similar number of rides so definitely an issue with the part Sucks too that I have a longer drive to the LBS but I think it's best I deal with them again. I'll keep you posted.
    Cheers!
    Rafrider

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sorry to hear your hub failed but like you said, better at the end of a ride than the beggining. Glad Spec. took care of the problem in a timely manner.
    Not that you want to hear this but my buddies replacement hub is starting to go. Of the three of us who all had to have hubs replaced on our Fatboys he's the only one who's been riding it this summer. Mine only has a handful of rides on it since replacing so wouldn't expect a problem yet. Good luck...hope you get many trouble free miles out of yours!

Loser
    I broke the axle on my Fatboy after about 700 miles of riding, about 1/3rd of that in snow. As someone else said above it sounded like my tire was rubbing during hard cornering. I pulled the rear wheel off and I could pull the cassette off without any tools - the axle was cracked inside the hub. It's been at the LBS for about 2 weeks now, honestly not sure what is going on, but they assured me Specialized is taking care of it and sending new parts, but they didn't know if it was a new hub, wheel or axle. It doesn't seem like this should take two weeks, oh well.

Worst case scenario I eventually relace the wheel with another hub, but I hope to not have to do that.

EDIT: Just called the shop, Specialized told them that there have been cases where the freehub cuts into the axle and the axle breaks where it is scored. They sent the bike shop a new steel axle (old one was aluminum) and a new freehub body - getting it back today, which is great!
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Dam I had issues with my stock hubs on my stumpys. Sucks specialized can't build dependable hubs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm hoping that all 2015's come with the new steel axle and freehub body - I'll be checking with my LBS.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    Yep. Mines crapped out. trying to get it fixed in 3 days. I guess I'll be riding another bike in my race. One of the bearings deep in the hub is in pieces. Ball bearings are split.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This is a well know problem on the Novatec 202SB rear hubs that also we (Diamant/Nakamura) and I'm sure other brands are using.
    The original alloy axle weighs 37g and has a bad habit of breaking.
    The new, reinforced axle weighs 53g, and so far, none of our (brutal) test riders have broken them (these are guys that would clip the original within minutes).
    We also got some boat anchor steel ones at 100g, but the 53g alloy ones are perfectly fine.

Note that the freehub body sometimes gets a beating when the axle goes. Damage can happen to the ratchet ring as well.
    Novatec has also changed the ratchet ring inside the hub (that the pawls grab into) from 24t to 27t. Requires a special tool for both types.
    Luckily, pulling the hub apart is done in seconds (unlike ball/cone type hubs like Shimano (that have also proven unreliable on fatbikes.))
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Checking in, same problem here with my '15 Fatboy. It sounds like the tire is rubbing something. Bah...
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Same thing happened to my Fatboy Pro last week. Started getting the chain rubbing sound...especially in granny gear. My LBS picked up the noise when I was in last week. They called Specialized and will have a new hub this Tuesday...new steel hub. They said this has been a problem with others. Very good about warranting it out though.

mtbr member
    You guys that have had your LBS take care of it - did they swap the freehub body out as well? My bike has about 150 miles on it and the FH is already chewed to hell.

Going to give them a call tomorrow and hope for the best.
    Metalguitarist.org

mtbr member
    Anybody know the weight of the fatboy comp hubs? The rims i think are 767gr and i think that itīs a good weight for 90mm so i think i will change only the hubs.
    Friends, forgive me for my spanish-inglish

mtbr member
    I am going to do the same with I9 hubs as soon as my rear hub fails. 2015 expert, been riding the hell out of it, no issues so far. I am 145 lbs and not hard on wheels.

mtbr member
    Add me to the broken freehub list tonight. Not sure what the hell happened (night ride) but I heard a "kaboom!" from my drivetrain. Threw the chain, nuked the hub, and I had a brisk ~25* stroll back to the car.

Already talked to the LBS and it sounded like they weren't surprised. So when I bring it in tomorrow, it's the steel hub that I want them to replace it with, correct? I don't want another one of these - I have a decent amount of cash into this bike and need to trust that it's not going to go on me again when I'm out and about in the winter. I got lucky tonight (end of the ride).

Edit: Here's the hub, bearings are a mess, and the the body's all chewed up. Only 200 miles on it. Yeesh.

Last edited by Seventh-777; 11-19-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    Metalguitarist.org

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Apart from the DT interal hubs (Roval), all Specialized rear hubs suck.

mtbr remember
    Subscribing to this.
    So there is confirmation that 2015's are not updated with stronger axle?

Is the SBC rear hub a rebranded Novatec?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI View Post
    Subscribing to this.
    So there is confirmation that 2015's are not updated with stronger axle?

Is the SBC rear hub a rebranded Novatec?
    I have a 2015 Fatboy - my LBS checked and it did have the updated axle. All 2015's should have the new axle.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    I have a 2015 Fatboy - my LBS checked and it did have the updated axle. All 2015's should have the new axle.
    Well, this seems to contradict what seventh-777 says above, and jbarton, since the "pro" was only available as a 2015...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Manufacture Date & Axle Type

I have a 2015 Fatboy (base), manufactured 7/25/14 (sticker on bottom of downtube).
    It has a steel axle (magnet sticks to it).

Anyone else care to chime in regarding build date and axle type?

As an aside, the bearings are tight and stiff. I pulled off the caps on either end which exposed the sealed bearing cartridges and no obvious way to adjust them. Can anyone provide insight here?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I have a 2015 Fatboy (base), manufactured 7/25/14 (sticker on bottom of downtube).
    It has a steel axle (magnet sticks to it).

Anyone else care to chime in regarding build date and axle type?

As an aside, the bearings are tight and stiff. I pulled off the caps on either end which exposed the sealed bearing cartridges and no obvious way to adjust them. Can anyone provide insight here?

Thanks!

2015 Fatboy (Base) - manuf. 7/12/14

Steel Axle (verified @ LBS on pickup)

Got nothing on your bearing issues - I haven't had any problems (yet).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast