mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Fat guy looking for Specialized

My LBS carries specialized bikes, I am mainly looking for a good trail bike that I can also use to commute to school but then on the weekends hit the local trails. I am 22 years old, 6'1 and 265lb. When I was still playing football, I was leg pressing 1300lb and squatting almost 700. I find my self going trough gear systems like crazy! I have only owned one bike (a FS Schwinn i bought before Wal-Mart got them) and I do not know anyone that has ever used a specialized bikes. I am kinda leaning towards a 29er. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been out of the bike seen for about 4 years now so I am all ears. I would love FS with a locking rear shock. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Hey,

You sound like me...I was a body builder and bench pressing 350-400 lbs, squatting ridiculous numbers (at my prime)...I was 220 at the time...I am now 240 at 5'11. 29er is the way to go...double walled rims are a must, front suspension your gonna need. I started off with a Hardrock sport disc 29er (no rear shock) which is built like a tank but only at about 32lbs. I just bought a Stumpjumper FSR comp 29er. Should have it on Monday. Rims are gonna be your achilles heal so just keep an eye on those and you should be fine
    Protect Extreme Sports Athletes - Extreme Sports Protection
    Real Estate - Tampa Foreclosures

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks man, when you get it let me know how it rides, what rims would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Well, since I am just getting back into this addiction after being away for some 12 years...I dont think I would be the right person just yet to ask that question...but I do hear alot of good things of these rims: ZTR Flow 29er Rim
    Protect Extreme Sports Athletes - Extreme Sports Protection
    Real Estate - Tampa Foreclosures