mtbr member

Fair price for Roval Control 29 SL Carbon wheels

Waiting for an answer from my LBS but in the meantime I'm calling some others. Right now I've been offered Euro 1.300 (USD 1.600) from an original retail price of Euro 1.500(USD 1.864). What you think ?

"the" fashion advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Waiting for an answer from my LBS but in the meantime I'm calling some others. Right now I've been offered Euro 1.300 (USD 1.600) from an original retail price of Euro 1.500(USD 1.864). What you think ?
    Seems good given what it would cost for comparable ENVEs or Eastons. I am running Eastons on my SS and the Control SLs on my geared bike (Epic EVO)--very happy with them.

mtbr member
    Go Chinese carbon from light bikes and save a ton...they are the same! I have a set of carbon rovals and the light bikes carbon wheels and I think they come from the same factory/moulds.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I paid 1400US from the dealer for mine. Rovals have a lifetime warranty and are hand built for few hundred more than the no warranty Chinese knockoffs.

I love mine.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic View Post
    Seems good given what it would cost for comparable ENVEs or Eastons. I am running Eastons on my SS and the Control SLs on my geared bike (Epic EVO)--very happy with them.

Eastons are some mighty wheels actually

I may consider some other brands aswell but I'm stuck all the time about the rear Specialized 142+ thing,better get my head around that thing and figure it out once for all,I'm sure it's a lot easier than it seems..
    Last edited by Devastazione; 06-28-2012 at 02:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Eastons are some mighty wheels actually

I may consider some other brands aswell but I'm stuck all the time about the rear Specialized 142+ thing,better get my head around that thing and figure it out once for all,I'm sure it's a lot easier than it seems..
    From what I understand, once you go 142+ you can't put em in any other bike than a 142+ bike......so pretty much specialized and only as long as specialized runs with the 142+.

If I'm going SL I would plan to just go 142 (non-plus).

mtbr member
    Many other brands are getting on the 12x142 rear axle band wagon (eg Santa crux), but many are convertible with end caps that usually come with the wheels and/or are available from the manufacturer. My rovals and a set of carbon Easton ec90 xc wheels came with the adapters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Seems like $250 off MSRP is not a bad deal. But there are changes in the wind for 2013, prices on existing 2012 stock may drop a bit more.

142+ fitment is hit and miss on other bikes. Fits fine -- but just barely -- on my Sultan, and does not fit on a friend's Superfly 100 AL.

MODS: A sticky on this most annoying aspect of the otherwise great Roval Carbon wheels would be fantastic!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    From what I understand, once you go 142+ you can't put em in any other bike than a 142+ bike......so pretty much specialized and only as long as specialized runs with the 142+.

If I'm going SL I would plan to just go 142 (non-plus).
    Not strictly true. Many bikes set for 142 can accommodate the extra 2mm in width, and the narrower RHS end-cap. Unfortunately there is only 1 way to tell.

mtbr member
    Money aside are they worth it ? 2012 Epic Expert's stock Rovals have been a huuuge improvement compared to 2011. I'm looking into these wheels to make the bike a bit more lively and nervous,I'm not (yet) obsessed with weight. And yes, there is a bit of bling involved aswell.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Money aside are they worth it ? 2012 Epic Expert's stock Rovals have been a huuuge improvement compared to 2011. I'm looking into these wheels to make the bike a bit more lively and nervous,I'm not (yet) obsessed with weight. And yes, there is a bit of bling involved aswell.
    I can't really answer this, but I know I ride 2 different bikes: my S-Works with my carbon Rovals, and my S-Works with my alloy Mavic/DT hoops. Very different: one much more responsive and nimble, the other comparatively slow and ponderous. You notice on any singletrack. On gravel marathon rides, not so much.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the inputs everyone. I'm gonna wait for monday from my LBS if he can shave another 50 or 100 Euro off otherwise I'll pass

Vegan on the S-Works
    I don't think anyone is gonna get warranty on such a light rim that already has lots of photos of it cracking from general riding as it is on the net.

mtbr member
    True, I did get two rock strike cracks on my front, running a 2.2 tire with 30+psi. I am 175lbs and ride XC. A bummer, but the same happened to one of my Easton ec90 xc rims too.

mtbr member
    Well let's face it,these are sponsored racer rims,you crack one you get a new one right away.
    Still,at 171 LBS and 36 psi I look forward to give them a try. My XC rides include very very little rocky stuff and no drops,I have a Stumpy FSR 26 for that.