mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Fair Price on a 2009 FSRxc

So it turns out one of my LBS's has a 2009 FSRxc in stock. It's new, but it just hasn't sold since they've had it (which could be as long ago as July of 2008, but probably no later than July of 2009.) It's the base FSRxc so the lowest component set and rim brakes.

I was just wondering what you all thought would be a fair price. According to the LBS the MSRP was $1400. I can't remember what the 2010 MSRP was on the base model so I have no idea if that is accurate or not. They are asking $1200. Seems a little steep to me being the base model and that it's been collecting dust for 2 to almost 3 years.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...3&menuItemId=0

From the link above you can find out the exact price when it was in its actual year as the current model. $1400 is just too damn much. I got my 2008 Enduro SL Pro Carbon (MSRP $5400) for $200 in 2010. So for a 2009 FSRxc, you should be taking it home for under a thousand. I wont shill out 1200 for that bike.

PS:I used to own a 2008 FSRxc Expert and sold it this year for $750 (Purchased it at $1800 w/taxes). So that gives you an idea of what ballpark you are to spend, even if he bike is new from a LBS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the help. So the $1400 price is legit, since MSRP is actually $1450. The bikes were cheaper in 2010 by $100. Wasn't expecting that so I got suspicious. Thought bikes would get more expensive year after year.

I guess the medium has been upgraded to a Fox rear shock, not sure if it's Triad, Triad II, RP2, or RP23, but regardless it should be better than the stock XFusion right? Not sure if that is enough to command $1200 on a bike that was stickered at $1400 and is 2-3 years old. Does having an upgraded Fox rear shock change anything or should it still be under $1000?

The large still has the XFusion 02RLA on it, so that should definitely be under $1000 right?

Maybe I can talk down the price a bit. I'll also be trading in my Rockhopper, as long as they give a decent trade-in price, since they have a trade-in program at this LBS. I'd be nice with the trade-in to pay maybe $500.

I'd have to go try both sizes and see what fits. I have demoed a medium 2010 FSRxc comp before and it felt smaller than my 17inch Rockhopper Comp Disc, but that might be due to the lower stand over height that most full suspension bikes seem to have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It could be a variation of a Triad. I doubt that the RP2s or RP23s would be selling in that price range as one of the components. My gf's 2009 Safire has a Triad rear shox. BTW we bought the safire for $1500 when the retail on it was $2500 (But the bike was just one year old).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah, I'm not super familiar with the differences between the Triads the RP2 and the RP23, nor the pricing scheme, coming off riding a hardtail. I did demo a StumpJumper Comp FSR 29er with a Triad II and it seemed pretty nice. It had Open, Close, and Pro Pedal and of course you could set the rebound and air pressure. Although the XFusion didn't seem that bad on the FSRxc Comp I demoed. But it just has rebound and air pressure settings.

It seems like the large with the XFusion shock should definitely cost me $1000 or under and even with a Fox shock $1000 or under for the medium? Hoping to maybe snag it up for around $500 with the trade-in of my 2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc. I don't know, I might be too optimistic with how much trade-in value it will have. But it seems like I should be able to get them to talk down the price.

mtbr member
    The X-fusion shock on the base and comp models is HORRIBLE. I replaced the one on my wife's 2010 XC comp with an RP2 . HUGE upgrade. The rear of the FSRxc bikes is very active and greatly benefit from a shock with Propedal like the RP2 and the Triad.

Late last summer when some of the 2011 models started showing up I bought the 2010 FSRxc Comp on closeout for $1100, and in March of 2010 I bought my 2009 FSRxc Pro for $1400, which retailed for $2200. For an FSRxc rim model, I'd maybe pay $800-$850 for it. The Comp has nicer wheels and hydraulic disc brakes, which would be a few hundred to add them to the rim brake model.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch
    The X-fusion shock on the base and comp models is HORRIBLE. I replaced the one on my wife's 2010 XC comp with an RP2 . HUGE upgrade. The rear of the FSRxc bikes is very active and greatly benefit from a shock with Propedal like the RP2 and the Triad.

Late last summer when some of the 2011 models started showing up I bought the 2010 FSRxc Comp on closeout for $1100, and in March of 2010 I bought my 2009 FSRxc Pro for $1400, which retailed for $2200. For an FSRxc rim model, I'd maybe pay $800-$850 for it. The Comp has nicer wheels and hydraulic disc brakes, which would be a few hundred to add them to the rim brake model.
    $800-$850 regardless of which rear shock it has? The medium has some Fox shock on it whereas the large has the X-Fusion shock. I'm planning on taking a trip to see which size fits better and I can probably take a gander and see what Fox shock it is.

Unrelated but any idea what sort of trade-in value I can expect or can command for a 2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc 17inch 26er ? If I can get them to drop the price and can get a decent trade-in value applied, then it makes doing this a little easier. Being in college means I'm broke.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well, they offered me $200 for my Rockhopper which cost $770 and $830 after tax. Still trying to negotiate a lower price on the FSRxc. They offered me the $1200 dollar price in person. That's a bit steep since

1) It's a 2009 bike and 2011 bikes are on the floor currently and in 2 months the 2012 bikes will be starting to trickle in.

2) It's a discontinued model (since the Camber replaced it)

3) It's a outdated rear shock setup (rocker arm vs inline with top tube)

4) The medium doesn't have the upgraded rear shock (the listing was wrong, it's the large that has the Fox Triad II whereas the medium, my size, has the stock X-Fusion shock)

5) That's only $200 off what the sold it at originally.

Guessing they won't drop the price, but it's worth a shot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If it was me, I'd give them $500 plus your RH. I'd give them an extra hundred or so if they wanted to swap shocks so you can get a shock with a platform.

That's an outdated design, you'd think they would just want it gone at this point. If I were you, I'd throw your RH on craigs list, get some cash out of that and buy a used stumpy that's a few years old...

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need to look elsewhere. The deal isn't very good at all.

Like ds33gt said, I'd sell your RH on craigslist and look for a great deal on a used bike. Your going to get the most bang for your buck. You should be able to find a used bike in the $1000 range that will blow away the FSRxc rim brake bike.

Specialized did change the suspension design, but I wouldn't say the rocker design is inferior. I went from an 09 XC to a 2011 Stumpjumper, and I don't really notice that big of a difference is how the rear suspension works. They both ride great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

New Price

So I talked with the guys at the shop and they said they could do $850 and the trade-in of my Rockhopper. So basically they dropped the price from $1200 to $1050 and can give $200 for my Rockhopper Comp Disc bringing it to $850 out of pocket. This is a bit more reasonable.

Mulling it over at the moment. Any input? Pull the trigger or wait for a better deal to come by? I think if I pass the offer up I'll spend my money on building up the Rockhopper (either as a race or trail bike)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I still think it's way too much but it's your decision and ur money...

Plan #123-D
    Dude, don't do it. From the sound of it, your LBS isn't that awesome. +1 on the Craiglist idea. Or find a used full suspension frame on MTBR or eBay and swap over your parts. You could potentially just sell the Rockhopper frame for $100. There are a lot of really nice used frames out there for $800-$1000, with a Fox rear shock. If you're willing to learn how to build it bike, it would be really rewarding to tear down your Rockhopper and build up the new (used) frame you find for a sweet deal elsewhere. Personally, I wouldn't touch the xfusion shock. I guess what I am trying to say is: DON'T GET THE FSR FROM YOUR LOCAL SHOP.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

Plan #123-D
    It's also worth looking into buying a demo'd bike. They usually come with a full factory warranty with half the retail cost. Where are you located? Long shot, but close to Madison there is shop called Back Yard Bikes that currently has some great deals on last years full suspension demo's. In your price range.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

Class Clown
    bah sounds like they don't want to deal

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looking like most people think this is a bad deal on my end. I was hoping for $500 or $600 after the trade-in. Seems like I'm loosing a lot of the value in my RH and still paying a lot for a 2 (almost 3) year old FSRxc (base model with rim brakes). Maybe I'll just do a Rockhopper build over the summer taking pictures as it slowly gets built up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Used Stumpjumper Pricing

Please delete, wrong post

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Too add more variables into my decision:

- They do have layaway which would make paying for it a bit easier.

- They do sell on consignment and take 10% (they were thinking it would fetch $400 to $500 on consignment, although it might take a while to sell, leaving me $360 or $450)

- I could purchase a 29er Rockhopper (didn't know a whole lot about 29ers when I got my 26er RH last June, but since then I've ridden 4 different 29er bikes and have liked them all)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Man I would scour the internet for something used. Throw your rockhopper up on CL and pinkbike and see if you get any bites and go from there. I just scored a barely ridden 2010 fsrxc expert for $860 on pinkbike. Yeah its got the x-fusion shock but I'll see if I like it and if I don't thats not a huge expense to replace. Just my .02 cents but I'd look for a better deal than the lbs is offering. Good luck!

mtbr member
    The X-fusion shock on the expert model is not bad at all. It is much better than the one on the Comp and Rim models. $860 is a great price!

Right now is a great time for used bikes. The weather is getting nicer, people are starting to ride again and get that itch to buy a new bike. You should be able to find a really great deal.

Your Rockhopper is a great bike, so may be riding the crap out of it this summer and saving up for a new bike might be your best bet. When the 2012 models start showing up in the fall then a lot fo 2011 models will go on clearance to made room. You might be able to find a killer deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Now I'm looking at hardtail 29ers in addition to full suspension 26ers. Specifically the Specialized Rockhopper SL Pro, SL Expert, and Comp. I've demoed 3 HT 29ers and I like the way they ride. So I'm considering going that route. I didn't really know much about 29ers when I got my 26er RH last June, but I think now after knowing more about them and having ridden them fairly extensively I'd be happier on one. I'd also be gaining a 3x9 setup which is one of the biggest drawbacks of my bike (3x8). Still looking into FS 26ers, but a HT 29er might be more within my budget and truly all I need for where I ride. The larger wheels should smooth things out anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If they had dropped the price then they would have sold it ages ago.

Keep the Rockhopper as its good to have both a hardtail and a full sus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Your Rockhopper is worth more than $200. I sold a 2003 Dick's Sporting Goods Mongoose for $150 a couple months ago. Go 29er hardtail. It'll ride better and be more enjoyable than the FSRxc with the cheap shock it comes with. Be patient and search CL or even eBay. You'll find a deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Also considering the Camber Comp. Just wish the prices were the same as last Fall. $1600 sounds a lot better than $1750. Even at $1600 the Camber Comp was a price step above last year's FSRxc Comp.

I think right now I'm really looking at the Camber Comp and 29er versions of the Rockhopper.