mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Fact 8m vs 11m carbon

Hi I am considering buying a new stumpjumper ht and noticed on the specialized web page that the sworks had the 11m frame and the marathon/expert only have the 8m carbon frame. I am guessing that the 11m is a little stiffer and lighter but am I going to notice it. By the way I race pretty competitively in cat 1. Also how does the vertical compliance compare does one of these ride smother or harsher than the other? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a 2012 SWorks HT and 2013 Marathon HT as well as 2012 Epic expert. I don't notice a differance in the feel of the HT frames, I think due to tire set up and suspension set up. For the money the Marathon is hard to beat. My Sworks is a custom build with xx drivetrain/Carbon wheels and the marathon is stock other than an XO cassette and Sworks seatpost.

However, on road bikes I can definately tell a differance. I just got a new road bike and went with the 2013 Expert SL4 frame over the others. The fact 11 was much smoother than the fact 8 and just overall felt better.

MY overall opinion... A marathon HT for $2600 less with differant cassette, seatpost, and a set of XTR brakes will not hold you back from an Sworks. Due to a smoking closeout deal I got on a 2012 SWorks frame my HT's cost about the same.