Trying a little

exactly what is the difference

between the 06 SX trail frames and 06 enduro frames?

I've left a voicemail and email at specialized but haven't heard back, so just putting this out to the mtbr community

On specialized website it says the SX has a "forged BB seat tube area" and "cobra head tube" but I looked at two at the bike shop, and did some measuring and the frames are identical as far as I can tell

(I'm not talking about the shock or shock shuttle just the frame itself)

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The frames are not identical, but do look very similar.

If you really compare them, you will see the top shock mount of the SX Trail is at a slightly different position than the Enduro's, thus accepting a longer stroke shock.

The SX Trail also has a different tubeset, being a little heavier and more rugged in key areas such as BB, headtube and chainstay.

The Other Dude
    Ok, this is what a found geometry wise changes, this is for the stock bikes with stock parts:

06 SX Trail:

Headtube angle 66.5 or 67.5 depending on the shuttle

Wheelbase 1185mm for the large and 1155mm for the medium

Comes 170mm cranks on all models

Regular Enduro frame:

Headtube angle ranges from 67 to 70 depending the high low setting and some other things

All models come with 175mm cranks except for the small comes with 170

Wheel base is 1156 for the large and 1129 for the medium.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by elmono
    The frames are not identical, but do look very similar.

If you really compare them, you will see the top shock mount of the SX Trail is at a slightly different position than the Enduro's, thus accepting a longer stroke shock.

The SX Trail also has a different tubeset, being a little heavier and more rugged in key areas such as BB, headtube and chainstay.

Elmono,

Thanks for your response. I will go on re-look because I could be wrong but:

* Tubeset

Are you certain about the tubeset, like do you know somebody who has this information at Specialized like an engineer? Because I really don't think they would hydroform an entirely different tubeset for this bike.

* Bottom Bracket

Same thing, I flipped over both bikes they look identical

* Shock front mounting Tabs

I really looked ( Wheelworld has both ) and honestly, I will go look again today because I could have made a mistake, but the shock mount tabs are the same. The SX shock shuttle is 0.25" shorter than on the Enduro. (8.75" e-to-e shock length on Enduro vs 9" e-to-e length on the sx trail )

Trying a little
    ju8 thanks for your response, I agree with you, but I am asking not about cranks, but instead my post is about just the aluminum frame front and rear triangles (and swingarm ) not the cranks, shock, shock shuttle, or anything other piece or component that attached somehow to the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Ok, this is what a found geometry wise changes, this is for the stock bikes with stock parts:

06 SX Trail:

Headtube angle 66.5 or 67.5 depending on the shuttle

Wheelbase 1185mm for the large and 1155mm for the medium

Comes 170mm cranks on all models

Regular Enduro frame:

Headtube angle ranges from 67 to 70 depending the high low setting and some other things

All models come with 175mm cranks except for the small comes with 170

Wheel base is 1156 for the large and 1129 for the medium.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Forgot a thing: The top tube of the SX Trail is about an inch shorter.

And yes, I am quite certain: The SX Trail has a slightly different tubeset, at least the same size frames have a slightly different weight, as the SX is reinforced.

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by elmono
    Forgot a thing: The top tube of the SX Trail is about an inch shorter.

And yes, I am quite certain: The SX Trail has a slightly different tubeset, at least the same size frames have a slightly different weight, as the SX is reinforced.
    Thank you, El Mono

The Other Dude
    Perhaps JakeWake could chime in here. Are you saying Wheelworld has 2 left over 06 bikes, an SX Trail and an Enduro?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Trying a little
    re: wheelworld

several leftover 06 enduros ( elite and a few brown s-works ) and but the sx is an 07

Trying a little
    Update: Kevin at Specialized returned my call today (1 day callback, very impressive for such an obscure question at such a big company) and left me a VM explaining the difference. He said the difference is the tubes are thicker and stronger on the SX, so yes, it is a totally different frame than the Enduro.

dirt visionary
    Of course ...There are alot of differences and most of its all geometery . Top tube, seat tube, seat tube angle, head angle, headtube , reinforced chainstays (now redesigned) and forward shock mounts. These all also effect standover, wheelbase and how the bike feels.

I have an 06 enduro, had an 07 sx and now have an 08 sx.

Trying a little
    Well, I meant just the aluminum frame not stuff that attaches to the bike (like shuttle, shock fork, etc.) that would affect the geo.

Are you saying the frame angles are different, like for example the seat tube angle? I only ask because they sure do look exactly the same.

dirt visionary
    Yes frame angles are different. There is no way to make an Enduro a SXtrail. Yes you can bump up the travel on an enduro to 167mm but it still won't have the geo of the SXtrail.

Here is my enduro

and my SXtrail . Even by looks alone you can see the difference. Both forks have same axle to crown measurments. Also the enduro has a larger rear wheel which brings the rear up a bit.

dirt visionary
    Here is the 2006 Enduro GEO for a MEDIUM second set of numbers is the sxtrail same size. A regular sx frame has even more changes to the geo. Also I take back the seatubes are different lengths as shown below they are the same length.

M

Seat Tube Length, Center to Top 457mm (457mm)

Top Tube Length 596mm (579mm)

Top Tube Length 562mm (547mm)

Chainstay Length 424mm (424mm)

Bottom Bracket Height Low/Mid 337mm (356mm)

Bottom Bracket Height High/Mid 349mm (369mm)

Seat Tube Angle Low/Mid 68 (73.5)

Seat Tube Angle High/Mid 69 (74.5)

Head Tube Angle Low/Mid 68 ( 66.5)

Head Tube Angle High/Mid 69 (67.5)

Wheel Base 1129mm (1155mm)

Standover Height 755mm (771mm)

Head Tube Length 108mm (108mm)

Trying a little
    well pictures don't help worth a damn (as shown here, the SX is steeper, even after I aligned the fork angles (the only fixed reference) as best I could. Unless you've measured with something that measures angles for now I think they're the same. Your angles in your post include the different shock and fork and all that so they don't help answer the question, but your measurements do, but I am MORE than willing to believe those measurements are just mistakes on specialized's part

Trying a little
    on the other hand if those measurements are ones you made with your own tape, then I believe it

dirt visionary
    Those are specialized's specs

The Other Dude
    I just gotta ask, which one are you looking to buy, or what would make you choose one over the other? I actually own all 3 enduro's, the 07 SL, 08 SX Trail, and an 07 Enduro Elite with some mods, i can say that they are all different bikes, what are you looking to do on the bike?

dirt visionary
    He already has an SXtrail....

Trying a little
    yeah I'm really just curious, I just bought the SX 07. jut8 can you measure your elite vs your sx if they're the same size and post it?

The Other Dude
    Actually the SX Trail is a medium, and the Enduro is a small. I use the SX for mostly AM and Freeride stuff, depending on where we go, its more fun than the Demo. I use the Elite actually for an indoor park we have about 2 hours west of us. It has yet to see dirt, and its for sale

Here is the SX Trail:

And here is the Elite, i am sure the images are not scaled correctly for an overlay, sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trying a little
    neither bike looks like it has been properly ridden! come out to Cali and get some marks on those

The Other Dude
    LOL, yeah, both the pics were taken when they were new. The SXT was just finished up last week, but i do go out to Cali quite a bit in the summer, my Demo 8 and my 06 SW Stumpy FSR got shipped out to my cousins house in San Diego last time we were there, i just couldnt stand to be out there that long without a bike, and seeing all the sweet riding you guys have......i hope they keep the trails open! Are you any where around there, maybe we can hook up and have some fun.

Trying a little
    I don't even ride in Cali I ride in the infamous west texas but I don't really hang with that crew. It is freeride / dh heaven out here, we are blessed with gravity and dedicated trail gnomes.

mtbr member
    JUT8 that enduro elite looks like a REALLY fun ride. Nice build on both bikes, but I've always wanted to try out a light enduro or really an sx with a pike or something comparable. U know a 30 -33 lb. freeride with like 4 - 6 inches of trail ripin', pedaling, plain fun.!!

But the pic of the enduro over the sx trail really shows the difference imo. The sxt looks like the tt is 4 inches shorter. Probably just the pic but I can see a difference.