The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here. "EVOing" 2010 Enduro

How difficult is it to swap my RP2 shock for a coil? Has anybody done it? I would want to keep the travel within the right range to not void the warranty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    From reading a few posts Spec will introduce an EVO kit but not sure if that inlcludes models below 2011.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I have not looked at a 2011 yet, but I didn't think there was anything different in how the shock is mounted. I think the shock just has a proprietary cap on the air canister end. That makes me think I could just order a Fox shock through my LBS that is intended for the Enduro EVO.

This is mostly curiosity at this point, I am extremely happy with the bike, but I do prefer coils for terrain that is constantly rough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I purchased Spec Enduro Expert frame three days ago and I asked in my LBS whether it is possible to convert 2010 Enduro to EVO and they said that it is not possible because of a little bit different linkage on EVO. I am not sure if this is true but I wanted to share my information.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Im thinking if the frames are the same, it should bolt right up.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Spec are to sell a conversion kit that includes shock and linkage afaik
    There are some changes to specs in 2011 bikes geometry on specs web site between Evo and non Evo, head angle, bb height etc but possibly a result of increased static stag.
    Not sure though.....interested to hear others thoughts

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I emailed Specialized and they said a retro fit kit is in the works. You will need a new wishbone link but other than that everything is the same.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy
    Spec are to sell a conversion kit that includes shock and linkage afaik
    There are some changes to specs in 2011 bikes geometry on specs web site between Evo and non Evo, head angle, bb height etc but possibly a result of increased static stag.
    Not sure though.....interested to hear others thoughts
    HA it bound to be different when the rear stays 160mm and the front goes to 170mm.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP125
    I emailed Specialized and they said a retro fit kit is in the works. You will need a new wishbone link but other than that everything is the same.
    That will be a nice option if I decide to go that route, though I'm sure it will be expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had the same kind of question. Only, I was wondering if I could swap my RP23 on my '11 Expert with a DHX 5.0 Air shock. I'm not sure if I want to do a full coil spring swap but it would be nice to get a little more volume out of a shock. I was told by Fox that upon full dampening the tire would actually be able to hit the seat tube. Anyone from Spec. can confirm this? Thanks!

waiting for a piece (.45)
    I'll try a DHX Air in the frame tomorrow if I have some time and I'll post up the results (probably after work) when I get back home tomorrow night....

mtbr member
    Have you compared the frame specs?

mtbr member
    I own an Evo, and just for the sake of asking, I checked with the folks at Cane Creek to see if they made a Double Barrel that would fit the Enduro's. They do not make an 8.5x2.125, but they do make an 8.5x2.5 with a "custom eyelet" for the SX trails and new 2011 Demo 8 II.

I'm not sure what this means for the Enduro, but it may be worth looking into. If the shock fits, the extra stroke could boost the rear to about 170mm of travel, which would match the front.

Someone do the math and let us know.

I'm with stupid
    Just out curiosity, Has anyone used there full 2.125" stroke on there shock, like o ring all the way to the end of shock stroke? Or let the air all the way out of the shock and pushed it all the way down to see where the linkage will stop the travel at. Reason i ask is cannnondale did the same where they used a 2.25" stroke shock but linkage stopped at 2.0" but still had 140mm of travel on the rize and rz 140 models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineE30M52
    I had the same kind of question. Only, I was wondering if I could swap my RP23 on my '11 Expert with a DHX 5.0 Air shock. I'm not sure if I want to do a full coil spring swap but it would be nice to get a little more volume out of a shock. I was told by Fox that upon full dampening the tire would actually be able to hit the seat tube. Anyone from Spec. can confirm this? Thanks!
    you need to find a dhx 5.0 with the right stroke length, fox doesnt make one currently. you could seriously damage the frame by doing so

mtbr member
    will the evo kit be available in the uk? i`m thinking of changing my 06 sx for an enduro.i really want the enduro evo,but just can`t affoed it,was thinking about getting a comp and evožng it :-)