mtbr member
    Mar 2008

ERD of 2012 Roval SL Carbon rims

What is the ERD of the Roval SL Carbon rims? I assume it is the same as on the 2013 model.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Effective Rim Diameter? Why would they be any different?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Best way to know is to measure it yourself!
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post
    Best way to know is to measure it yourself!
    Not so easy to measure when the wheel is laced up with spokes and hubs! Through the valve hole I measured the distance from the inner rim wall to the central part of the hub, added half the diameter of the central diameter of the hub, added 2 mm for nipple head and finally multiplied everything with 2. This gave an ERD of 602 mm, but I do not feel it was very accurate.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikGBL View Post
    Not so easy to measure when the wheel is laced up with spokes and hubs! Through the valve hole I measured the distance from the inner rim wall to the central part of the hub, added half the diameter of the central diameter of the hub, added 2 mm for nipple head and finally multiplied everything with 2. This gave an ERD of 602 mm, but I do not feel it was very accurate.
    Well you did not state that up front. Nor why you even want to know.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post
    Well you did not state that up front. Nor why you even want to know.
    I want an extra wheel set for my Epic and I have a pair of nice hubs from a 2012 Roval SL 29er wheel set (142+ rear) and I want to lace them up with the Light-Bicycle Wide 29er rims (ERD 603 mm). I also have the spokes from the wheel set, and my hope that also the spokes can be reused.

A related question: how do I calculate the spoke length for these hubs?. I do not find any spoke calculator that has these hubs in their data base. They are not identical to any DT Swiss straight pull hub as far as I can see. it is difficult to measure the flange distance and in particular the pitch circle diameter (except on the right side of the front wheel where the spokes are radially laced).

So where do I find the necessary geometrical dimensions needed for input?

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Visit a wheelbuilder. For what it would cost, the price to get a proper build to professional standards is worth it. I wrench everything on my bikes, including suspension (ex Brain), but leave the wheelbuilding to the pro's. Anyone can build a set of wheels, but they won't last unless you work to standards and have the tools that the pro's do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Get the e-book from Wheelbuilding book for wheel building : bicycle wheels. It will tell you all that and a whole lot more about wheel building.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    Visit a wheelbuilder. For what it would cost, the price to get a proper build to professional standards is worth it. I wrench everything on my bikes, including suspension (ex Brain), but leave the wheelbuilding to the pro's. Anyone can build a set of wheels, but they won't last unless you work to standards and have the tools that the pro's do.
    I wrench everything on my bikes, including suspension (ex Brain) and in particular I want to service the most important component, the precious wheel set, myself. The e-book wmodavis mention gives an excellent background and my tools cost less than USD 100 including a device for measuring spoke tension which is strictly not necessary (according to the book).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have just measured a Spec Carbon Roval rim and my result is 601.5. I have a rim without spokes and hub in my workshop, so it was easy to measure with a ruler, two spokes glued to a nipple each and cut to 20 cm.

I Ride Bikes
    Thanks. I need to repair a couple of bent spokes on my rear wheel and I've been searching for the ERD info.

since I'm here and you guys might know....

What length spokes did you folks use?
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!