mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Epic World Cup Climbing

I apologize if I missed a thread covering this, but I couldn't find a discussion specifically about how the new World Cup climbs compared to last year's Epic. I took delivery of an S-Works Epic WC frame in mid-January. My bike is built save for the Raceface Next SL crankset that is big time back-ordered. I figured I would have to wait longer for the XTR M987 brakes, but they are installed. Yes, I am getting a little frustrated! I guess if I can't ride the bike, the next best thing is writing about it.

The different geometry of the WC (pretty close to a SJ hardtail) should make the bike a touch more efficient when climbing. Specialized has said that the WC will have a firmer shock Brain, but with a smoother threshold when the valve opens. From what I have heard, the new Brain is getting mixed reviews, as some riders feel that it is not as firm as the old version. I normally run my shock Brain full firm, and I won't be happy if the WC is softer when set this way.

It would be great if riders that have owned a 2011-2013 Epic and have a WC could comment as to how the bikes compare when climbing.

Thanks!
    TOM
    USA Cycling Certified Coach

www.tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    It is hugely improved from my '12. I attribute this to the strifer chainstays mainly but, the new suspension tuning and geometry help as well.
    2014 S-Works Epic World Cup
    2014 S-Works Epic (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's great to hear. Have you found that the Brain is significantly different from your 2012?
    TOM

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    That's great to hear. Have you found that the Brain is significantly different from your 2012?
    Significantly. The two main differences for me from my '12 are the geometry and the suspension. The suspension is more progressive. My '12 felt like it would dive into its travel once it opened. The '14 is plush but ramps up a bit, which is nice. Overall, the suspension just has a more quality feel and, it opens up with far less notice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    "The '14 is plush but ramps up a bit" But is the 14 every bit as firm when the Brain is set full firm for climbing? My 12 is fantastic in this regard. I get no detectable suspension movement even when I climb hard standing up.
    TOM

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    "The '14 is plush but ramps up a bit" But is the 14 every bit as firm when the Brain is set full firm for climbing? My 12 is fantastic in this regard. I get no detectable suspension movement even when I climb hard standing up.
    I usually run my Brain at full firm minus 1. I have run it full firm as well and yes, there is little to no movement. The suspension opens with less fuss and gives more controlled travel. This makes it feel more efficient even when the suspension is active.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Excellent. When I have had my shock rebuilt, I had the Specialized service tech do what they call the "extra firm stack." I really love the stiff pedaling platform of the Brain. I sometimes run the shock Brain at full firm minus 1 as well. I can't really discern any difference when I am in the saddle, but when standing, at minus one there is a little bit of movement.
    TOM

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I feel like the brain on the 14 WC is firmer at every click. I've had the 14 comp and almost every epic since 04. And the WC is definitely the firmest brain ever, and really doesn't have any lower adjustments to soften it up like the previous brains before it, front or rear. MHO is that this is more of a race bike and a lot less then trail bike then any Epic ever. I just raced it 50 miles last weekend and it is a ultra efficient rocket! One of my best races.
    Pretty good at everything, but not really good at anything!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey gnriden, Im really keen to know some more info regarding your race if you do not mind sharing. I am about to pull the trigger for want of a better term and would be keen to use my WC for anything and everything over 50 miles! Terrain, ascent, descent and type of trails ridden. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Grinden,

"that this is more of a race bike and a lot less then trail bike then any Epic ever." Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I want in the WC. I am hoping that it is has a different feel from my 12 Epic.
    TOM

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4