mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Epic Wheel Upgrade

Hi all. I've got an 06 Epic. I decided that I'd put some new wheels and components on it this year rather than buying a new bike. I'd be interested in hearing anyone's recommendations for a good lightweight, but reliable set of wheels. I'm currently considering DT Swiss XR 1450's, Mavic SLX, or Crank Brothers Cobalts.

Also, when buying a set of wheels, what are the "gotchas"? I assume I need to get the axle size right and get a rear hub that fits my 9 speed cassette? Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Also, does anyone know what size axles I need? 9mm? (Fox F100 RL front fork).

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think you have a QR axle.....

I don't think there is a Mavic SLX wheel.

Have you considered letting your LBS build a wheel specific to your needs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry... Typo. Meant to list the Mavic Crossmax ST wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry... Typo. Meant to list the Mavic Crossmax ST wheels.

They are QR axles... but are there different sizes of QR? Or does any QR wheel fit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    QR's are 9mm.... so they are the regardless, until you get to the thru-axles.

Mavics are good... some don't like them due to their proprietary spokes... and they do have a weak link in their freehub.... they use a nylon bushing, which over time, when dirt & grit gets into them, it will prematurely wear the bushing causing a sloppy freehub (and you can tell with a sloppy cassette). They work fine on my road bike, which I'm less worried about.

Are you considering dabbling around with tubeless?

old fart
    Mar 2010
    ST's are an excellent combination of good weight and strength. The FWH needs to be lubed every 6 months (a 10-minute job) but otherwise these are great wheels. I ran ST's alongside SLR's and loved them. Still doing duty on my wife's bike.

Also the rims are have no inner spoke holes so tubeless is a breeze - no rim strips and messing around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The ST would be a good choice because it's ready to go tubeless out of the box if you wish to go that route and it also comes with all the necessary adapters to make them compatible with all of the popular axle configurations. That would be helpful to make sure it fits the bike you have or anything you might buy in the future. The Crossmax ST has the new IT'S-4 freewheel which pretty much elimitates any of the maintainence issues that gave these wheels a bad rap in the past. I've been running the 29 version for a couple years now without issues, I think you'll dig them!