mtbr member
    Mar 2012

epic WC expert vs expert

Anyone use a WC for endurance events? All the press I read says the WC is hard core and not for long rides/endurance events. All the posts I read say its comfy. I am undecided on 1x11 vs 2x10. I like the lighter frame of the WC and the lighter weight of the bike. I really want a bike for 3-6 hour endurance events am I am sure the normal epic is better for me on paper. Although I will be looking at my time I will be looking at how i feel and stopping at the rest areas for snacks!

I may have my LBS look into 1x11 on the normal epic but that seems like it may be complicated and it may even require a different rear hub.

thanks for the feedback!
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My Epic WC rides like my 26er as far as handling go, if your racing sometimes comfort is set aside. If your looking to do some epic rides with buddies and don't care how long it takes look to the Camber or Stumpy. The Epic WC and even the basic Epic models are made to go fast and require a bit more input from the rider compared to the camber and stumpy. That's just my opinion. All 3 options are great bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. Right now I am riding a cannondale flash alloy 1 which is pretty racy. I am pretty much set on an epic - just trying to figure out which one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'd go with the expert. 1x11 is probably cool, but having that bailout ring sure is nice. I don't use it much, but there is times I'm glad I have it. I'm an all or one kind of guy, 2x10 or single speed. You can always swap out the cranks to the xx1 to do a 1x10, see how you like it and sell the current cranks and be out less than a hundred bucks.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Glad I went with the non WC Expert . Aggressive suspension and geometry feels appealing so is the single ring,but it's pretty hilley where I live and long steady climbs are the norm,with a much more needed stability on the downhill. I see you have a Flash,loved my F29 C3 from last year and I guess the comparison with the WC fits right in : the bike was insanely fast but when you fly down at 41 mph you need ( at least I needed) some more stability at the rear. I could tell it was the Lefty doing all the work of keeping the bike on the ground and at that speed sometimes was not funny.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 01-20-2014 at 12:02 AM.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Glad I went with the non WC Expert . Aggressive suspension and geometry feels appealing so is the single ring,but it's pretty hilley where I live and long steady climbs are the norm,with a much more needed stability on the downhill. I see you have a Flash,loved my F29 C3 from last year and I guess the comparison with the WC fits right in : the bikes was insanely fast but when you fly down at 41 mph you need ( at least I needed) some more stability at the rear. I could tell it was the Lefty doing all the work of keeping in the bike on the ground and at that speed sometimes was not funny.

Thank you - I saw another post that said if the camber had a brain shock you would get that instead... Is it the smoother ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    Thank you - I saw another post that said if the camber had a brain shock you would get that instead... Is it the smoother ride?
    Never rode a Camber 29,just a friend of mine 26 but he has heavily modified it as a hardcore AM bike so I can't tell. It seemed to me a sort of stiff ride wich turned barely cushy on serious bumps,so my experience is very limited. But seriously,I could not tell the difference between open and closed shock. Everyone says the Camber is the right blend of Stumpy FSR and Epic but I'm totally sold to the Brain concept and it's a bike I will only look at if Specialized will ever give it the Brain.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 01-20-2014 at 05:22 AM.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks