Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Epic vs. Stumpjumper

Hi All
    I am planning to buy a new frame this year.
    Presently I am using a Merida XC Mission Elite from 2003 which was pretty ok for climbing but for downhill it is not the best one.
    So my plan for this year is to buy Epic Marathon Frame (M5) or Stumpy FSR with the Brain (M5), both are in the same price.
    Most of the time i am riding in the woods around my city but at least once a month i go to ride in the mountains.

As it is still not possible to test the Stumpy in Poland I want to hear what you think.
    Is the new Stumpy a good climber can you compare it to Epic? How is the rear shock working has anybody had any problems with it??
    Thank you all for your answers and comments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I went through the same dilemma 2 months ago, the thread had a similar title to yours! After advice from folk here and 2 days testing a stumpy I bought the Stumpjumper FSR Expert. My shop didn't have an Epic I could take away to test but just sitting on it in the shop it felt a bit too forward for me. The Stumpy handles whatever I throw at it - big rocky descents in the Peak and Lake districts in the UK, as well as flat 70 mile cycle path rides. It climbs better than my old Rockhopper as well.

I love it, really versatile bike, no problems after 6 rides! Don't know what kind of mountains you have over there, but after riding some of our rocky UK terrain I certainly wouldn't want less suspension than the Stumpy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i would go with the SJ, its just a more versitile bike where as the epic is a focused machine for racing and efficency, and this is coming from an epic rider

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I currently ride an 06 epic and really like the bike. It climbs so well and it has a low center of gravity which makes it seem so responsive. I definitely get a little beat up on some rides. Before the epic I rode an 04 stumpjumper it wasn't as efficient or responsive but more of cush ride. I haven't rode 08 stumpy but will be testing one soon. Buy both! ha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i have to change out the saddle on my epic from a phenom sl back to the stock rival, i tried to get used to the phenom but in the end my ass wasnt having it, yes the rival is a bit heavier but its more comfortable so ive quit being a weight weenie, im learning never to sacrifice comfort for a weight saving

mtbr member
    May 2006
    From what I have read the 08 SJ climbs very well. I bought a 08 SJ Pro frame and have it ready to go (waiting for the snow to melt). I can say compairing the 07 models of both the Epic climbing was great and it handled very well. I race it and really liked it. The SJ did not climb as well it felt heavy, but was a softer ride overall and decended well. I wanted to say with a 5" bike so I opted for the 08 SJ since it was supposed to a great race/trail bike.The ride position is more relaxed on the SJ verse the Epic. So you may want to think about the ride position as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ive tried both the 08 SJ comp and elite and they are excellent, comfortable light versitile and tough, great all round bikes, i wouldnt hesitate to get one, i love my epic for its efficiency suspension wise, i also do a lot of road riding and its great for that, i do get beaten up a bit on the rougher trails here though, its more like a rally car fast and stiff while the SJ is like jeep wrangler, if i could do it again id probably go for the 08 SJ

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So how does the Stumpy climbs? As well as Epic?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the SJ has a higher front end but theres minimal weight difference to the epic now, as far as climbing goes there would be little in it, again though you need to try both bikes yourself

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am considering a great deal on a new 07 stumpjumper expert with the brain. Do you think this would be a good move from my 06 epic? I don't race, but like to go fast. I definitely don't want to be the last one to the top. On rougher rides I feel like I am pushing the limits of the epic. Is the stumpy a good compromise?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yes its a good bike, i dont know if id trade my epic for one but for what you describe i think its fine for you, light efficent, and a better geo plus softer and more travel for the rougher stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For sure i will try it beafore i buy it
    Last saturday i heard in the bikeshop they will have test-bikes in the middle of April,
    but thank for your comments

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well I bought the '07 expert stumpy and I am keeping my '06 epic! I am very impressed with the stumpy! The pedal platform is rock solid and the switching between locked out and open is unnoticable. The other nice feature is the adjustability of the fox fork. 140...120...100 & lockout, man so much to choose from! I still love my epic though!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    TG26 You are not helping
    I cant wait till they bring the test bikes and i try it myself!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Let us know what you decide. You can't go wrong.

Mulleticious
    I'll make it easy:

Epic if you want to do hardcore racing and don't mind a sore arse

Stumpy if you like to ride a bit longer and enjoy comfort, without sacrificing efficiency.
    And, yes, it climbs like a dream...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHgV1fH1xY

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I must say the movie is nice and For sure I will Let you know what i buy and if I manage I'll post some pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Witam kolege, mysle ze powinienes kupic '08 Stumpjumper Expert. Nie bedziesz zalowal.
    Niedawno kupilem swoj i ciezko jest mnie z niego sciagnac. Wspanialy rower.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by maclover
    Witam kolege, mysle ze powinienes kupic '08 Stumpjumper Expert. Nie bedziesz zalowal.
    Niedawno kupilem swoj i ciezko jest mnie z niego sciagnac. Wspanialy rower.
    Please, this is a forum that is used by an international public.
    So only post in a language that can be understood by everyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You are right Trevorken
    OK SO I WILL TRANSLATE
    Maclover wrote " you should buy Stumpy, you will not regret, I bought recently my stumpy08 and no one can get me of my bike now"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    And he is completely right.
    I also do love my Stumpy 2008 expert.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My apologies guys. Y

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

As promised - pics

first pic frame itself
    Second my bike my wife and my collegue
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My friend and me in Jura Krakowsko-Czestochowska (Next to Krakow city, Poland)
    Just for information bike is 11,7KG with Talas RLC,Crossmax ST,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (89.5 KB, 611 views)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice bike Marbroz. Enjoy it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast