mtbr member

New question here. Epic vs. Blur (need unbiased opinions!)

I am about to drop some cash on a new bike. The í06 Epic Comps will hit dealers Tuesday or Wednesday and I am about to put in an order for one (colors are lacking but the Marathon isnít worth the extra $1200, biggest thing is the XO driver train and Fox RLT vs. RL)

Before I spend my student loan I want to make sure that the Epic is competing on the same scale as the Blur. The Epic is a little less expensive but I have been a Santa Cruz guy for years.

I race expert in Texas and race for Texas A&M. I am looking for a dedicated XC bike that will hammer when I need it but I hate rocks, hence the desire to switch to a FS.

Anybody ridden both the Epic and the Blur? I know I am going to get one answer from Spec guys and another from SC guys, but I want to make sure I will not be disappointed by buying a bike that was made halfway across the globe.

mtbr member
    The thing that really pushed me to Specialized is the lifetime warranty vs the 2 year on the Blur. If that is no concern I really recommend you ride both bikes and compare them as the fit is different between the two bikes. I don't think you can really go wrong with either bike, in the group I ride with none of them complain about the bikes and there are at least 2 of each.

mtbr member

Also look at..

Take a look at which bike has been more succesful in the XC racing arena. The Epic is raced by more pro teams (non-Specialized) and has been used to win the XC World Cup title and the XTerra TriSeries Title. I don't even think the Santa Cruz team uses the Blur for XC racing at the pro level.

mtbr member

I have raced both....

The Epic is better. No question. I am an expert rider in Virginia and have raced both. The Blur would be a better trail bike because it is a "slower" handling bike and the suspension is plusher. The Epic feels like it is part of you. It is a very fast bike and the suspension and geometry are perfect for racing. I raced a 6 hour race on the Epic so its good for the long hauls too. I recommend a Fox F80/100X to compliment the rear.