Thread: epic vs. 575

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

epic vs. 575

does anyone have experience on both an epic comp disc and a yeti 575?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No but a more comparable bike in the Specialized line to the 575 would be the Stumpy FSR 120 or perhaps an Enduro.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I tried them both

I recently tried both of them and they are very different bikes. I have to admit that I did not get the 575 out on a trail but when riding it (in parking lot) feels very much like a trail bike where the epic is more XC racer. The stumpy is more of a comparison to the 575. I currently ride an epic comp but with a bit of upgrades and I love it. Still think Yetis are cool though,. Wish I could own one of each.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I ride a 575 and had a Epic when they first came out. The Yeti is a better bike for Utah. The Epic was a good bike for going up hill but was not as much fun as the Yeti on the down hills. You can get the Yeti down to the 27lbs range and thats all the bike you need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    No but a more comparable bike in the Specialized line to the 575 would be the Stumpy FSR 120 or perhaps an Enduro.
    you're right.

i know the epic-575 comparison is an apples-oranges thing, but i've got a chance at both bikes for really good deals, and i'm having trouble making up my mind about which style of bike i want.

i'm leaning toward the epic, because even though i don't race, i prefer its stretched out geometry and relatively stiff ride. i've ridden an enduro; i didn't dig the upright position, and even with spv it just seemed too couch-like. i also wind up riding on paved roads a lot, on the way to, from, and between trails, which makes the brain sound nice.