mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Epic upgrade or change

I dropped by my lbs and had a chat with the guys there. I told them I was planing to do some upgrades to my 2013 comp carbon epic. Probably a new fork and new transmission in the coming months. Having heard this, one of them suggests to me to just save up and trade in my bike. He suggested the an Epic Elite.

As I haven't ridden the '14 epic I don't really know if its a good deal. I know that there are very slight changes in geometry. How do the new epics handle in comparison to the previous generation?

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    is there an Elite Epic for 2014 ?
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No but he is probably referring to the Expert which is a stunning bike for 2014 and really good value for money.
    I can't offer any opinion on the difference between 2013 and 2014 Epics as i went from a 2009 to a 2014 but the 2014 have had a redesign and mine is a stunning bike to ride it's just so agile and I am very happy with the change

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rather than buying a new fork, consider getting a Brain damper upgrade (if available). I had this done on my 2011 Epic Comp Carbon and have been very happy with it.

mtbr member
    New Epic handles a lot more sharper than the 2013 one thanks to the front through axle. Is is wort to upgrade to a 2014 model when you have a 2013 one ? Imho no,unless you want to splurge. I love my 2014 Marathon but there are a couple of things I miss from my old 2012 Expert : a more aggressive Brain setup and a general feeling of having a bigger and more "floatish" bike. The new frame geometry is lovely and I'm enjoying it very much,but if you upgrade with a new fork and transmission ( and hopefully new wheels) your 2013 Comp will still give you another full year or two of enjoyment.
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

Orr
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My opinion is to upgrade, just switched from Epic Comp 13 to Epic Marathon 14.
    the expert is almost similar to the marathon
    the difference from the comp is huge:
    carbon wheels weight, brain fork, 14' rear brain feels much better when closed(almost no kick's in the ass) ,frame stiffness is amazing, carbon crank
    i really liked the SWAT and the option to put 2 bottles inside the frame, saved me the necessary to carry backpack(water,tools) for most of my rides (2-3 hours).

"Devastazione"
    you can adjust the shocks in few ways to make them feel better, you can lower the air pressure on the sid and lock 1\3 way the brain so you still get stiff fork when needed and more plush feeling when in technical trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Actually, I have already upgraded my epic. I have the Roval Control Carbon wheels(hookless rims). This is why my lbs suggests the Elite model...which is available here in Spain. Here's the link:Specialized Bicycle Components

The Elite sits between the comp and expert models. Comparing it to the expert, it doesn't have carbon rims, it has X0 rear derailleur.

I was told that it would be released sometime in March.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    it depends a lot on what they are willing to give you for your bike when you trade it in also. I am guessing buying the bike new and only riding it for a year, then trading it in instead of selling you will be taking a pretty big hit on last years purchase.

There's always next year.
    I'd personally keep the '13 and do the upgrades... full disclosure, I'm on a 13' Carbon Comp, and have an done a bunch of upgrades (carbon rims, etc) and love the bike to death. I'd also miss the ability to run a (common) dropper post that you'd lose with the newer Epics. It sounds weird, but the dropper post changes the bikes ability GREATLY.

I'm thinking about upgrading my fork as well; depending on what you want out of the fork: Brain Upgrade, or drop in the RCT3 cart from RockShox, and if you need more stiffness upfront, 15mm lowers.
    If you shop smart, you can get great drivetrain upgrades pretty cheaply.

With that said, the SWAT stuff looks awesome, and if the shop blows you away with trade in value, it might change the story somewhat.

I'd have to also disagree with Orr's advice up there... I'd think that running the shock with lower pressure than needed should/would lead to blowing through the travel like crazy... at least, thats my experience with every other shock I've used (Brain rear shock included).

Orr
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    I'd have to also disagree with Orr's advice up there... I'd think that running the shock with lower pressure than needed should/would lead to blowing through the travel like crazy... at least, thats my experience with every other shock I've used (Brain rear shock included).
    what i meant is to Lower the air pressure in about 20-30 psi
    the chart on the fork saying 130-145 psi for my weight and it way too rigid when going to singletrails, when i lowered the pressure to about 100 psi it felt way better and when you close the brain for 1\3 or 1\2 way u still get good pedaling efficiency.

and there is dropper post for 27.2.

the Elite look like a good value, especially if you already have the carbon rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orr View Post

"Devastazione"
    you can adjust the shocks in few ways to make them feel better, you can lower the air pressure on the sid and lock 1\3 way the brain so you still get stiff fork when needed and more plush feeling when in technical trails.
    Tried all possibile combinations but the shock work it's best at the suggested pressure for my weight,the thing is that specialized said this 2014 Brain it's a lot more small bump compliant and after testing a new Brain every year since 2011 i can safely say it really is like that.
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    I have the 2013 carbon comp. I would stick with the 2013 since you cannot put a dropper post on the 2014 (yet). It depends how much you can get for it at your shop and how much out of pocket you are going to spend. Seems kinda crazy to me to buy a bike that only has small changes from the prevoius year. I upgraded mine with a 120mm fork -15mm thru axle (rickshox sid) and put some mavic SLR's on it. MAkes it handle like a champ. With all that said I am eying the ripley at my local shop....