mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Epic suspension / brain setup

I have read a variety of things about setting up the fork and brain on an Epic. FYI mine is a 2006, Fox made, with brain 'fade'. I saw the video on the spec website but that is for a later model (2008). Fork is a F100 RLT (no compression damping). Bike has never felt dialed.

Specific ?'s

1) No problems with setting the sag or brain fade, but where should the rebound be on the rear shock, fast, slow, middling?

2) Front shock, rebound to match the back or faster/slower? Set sag as rec (15% for xc) or firmer to match the brain firmness?

I ride XC, some sport races

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

come on...

bump

Are you kidding. No one here rides a barin fade and has setup/tuning tips?

The Spec tech has no input?

Thx

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    For the shock set the rebound in the middle range, not so slow that it "packs" up and not so fast that it bucks you forward. Pick a short section of technical trail and I would start with a slower rebound setting and slowly adjust to a faster setting until you notice that the rebound is too fast, then set it a couple clicks back to where you liked it.

Generally for the fork the rebound is set faster than shock rebound depending on trail terrain. For sporadic large hits the rebound can be set slightly slower than it would be in normal riding conditions but for regular technical terrain with repeated small/medium hits it is best to have the rebound in a relatively faster setting, this will help keep the front end of the bike up.

Fork sag would again be set up specifically for rider preference and terrain. 15% is a firm XC race sag suggestion, for a slightly plusher feel on the Epic set the shock and fork sag to 20% of stroke travel. You can view our website videos to learn Epic suspension setup, the same setup theory applies for fox components as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

thx

Thx for the info.

Has anyone had a chance to compare a RLC type fork (compression damping) with a non-compression damping fork as to how well they match up with the brain. I'm wondering if PUSHing my F100 RLT to a RLC would match the brain better?