mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Epic / Stumpjumper ~ Chain Guide Question

Yes I have had just a few chain drops on my 2011 Epic S Works Epic, 3 or 4 when pressing the trails...So my question, after looking at some pictures of the new Specialized Stumpjumper, looks like they have come up with a cool chain guide tensioner...hadn't seen one up close...so I have a few question I would like some help with:

How do people like them that have them...more drag, can U notice it

2. Are they part of the chain stay protector or do they mount over them

3. Does the tensioner have rollers or just a plastic wear pad

4. NOW the REAL Question....Can I mount one on a 2011 Epic S works carbon chain stay, I think I would want one.

Any help or ideas would be great...for a chain tensioner or guide for this bike ( 2011 Epic)

mtbr member
    Have a look at K Edge stuff,they have some very cool non-intrusive anti chain fall thing you can mount between the crank and the BB.

mtbr member
    The thing your referring to is called "the dangler". It is integrated into the chain guard and actually works really well.

For my 2011 SJ I put on a Bionicon C.Guide v2. It doesnt the same job as the dangler and I havent had a single chain drop since installing it. Like the dangler the C. Guide v.2 uses a plastic wear pad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The C Guide is cool...just Zip tie the guide on...would work with the carbon frame Ok...and the crank...the crank has the pressed in bearing...so really cant mount anything between the crank and the BB with the other types of tensioners...I'll call the Lbs, and see if the Stumpjumper dangler will fit the Epic carbon chain stay...Looks like the C guide is about $45 ~ $50 bucks, I will find out what the dangler goes for...would be nice if the dangler fit the Epic chain stay...will see. If anyone knows if the dangler will fit the Epic, just let me know. Oh just a note...was looking on the net...did see that Specialized put a dangler out for the camber, that fit over the chain stay guard...hmm
    Last edited by pedaldown; 08-27-2012 at 04:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    same bike, same guide, and same results as Mr. Lynch. soo quiet also.

mtbr member
    I've had the C-Guide on my bike all summer and it has worked great. It does what it's supposed to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic / Stumpjumper ~ Chain Guide Question-stumpy4.jpg  

2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ^^ That looks really cool. I bet it will hold up a lot better than the stock one