mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Epic and stump jumper set up differences

So I like probably a lot of others have both an epic and stump jumper both Large. Same stem and so on.. Challenge is the bikes feel very different in position. Does anyone have these two bikes set up different to achieve the same feeling on the bike?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have no idea what you're trying to say but they are 2 entirely different bikes meant for entirely different riding. You're not going to get the racey XC feel out of a 5" super plush trail bike.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I have an Epic 29er and recently test rode a SJ FSR 29er. I moved my cockpit over, including my stem, bars and grips, and my wheels and rubber, so I would have fewer things to blame for differences and really feel how the bike rode. Anyway, the only thing I did that was different with that setup was flip the stem (I run it negative on the Epic, and flipped it to positive on the SJ). I like a longer cockpit, so the longer stem on the SJ was perfect. Otherwise, the test drive was amazing. I love my Epic, but I'm beating it up pretty badly and ride it more like a 5+" travel bike. The SJ was super efficient in the climbing department when locked out and was just super cush on the way down with hardly any adjustment needed.