mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Epic strong enough for Clydesdales

I've just destroid my Yeti ASR and quickly need a new bike. I can buy a Specialized Epic Comp M4 (2004) frame in XL. Are there any known problems, breaking are cracking, with these frames?

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks, KLAAS (a 240lb XC clyde from the Netherlands)

highskool
    Jul 2004
    I had an S-works epic 2003 and I took it the French Alps. I'm 200 Ibs. Did a lot of trail riding there and as you know it was mostly down hill. It is more than up for it but not really recommended. May I suggest a stumpjumper. Ideally you should really think about a stronger all mountain bike for your build. I sold my epic (I really miss it) for a Santa Cruz Blur LT and have specced it to be lighter than my old S-works Epic. If you do buy the Epic I hope you enjoy it.

mtbr member

Epic

I have ride an "03 Epic and this is my third season without problems.
    I weigh anwhere between 220-240 and have absolutely loved mine. I think it is the perfect bike for us big folk when it comes to climbing. I don't lose any energy bobbing with the Brain. I tend to change out my chain every 500-800 miles. I have had my Fox F80RLT rebuilt once. I have gone through one set of XT disc brake pads. I just purchased my first replacement dirvetrain and will replace in May before a Moab trip. All that said, I would highly recommend the Epic if you are a trail/xc rider.
    BoiseBoy