mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Epic Shock Settings

I've messed with my settings quite a bit, moving levers, rotating knobs, etc...
    I'm tired of fiddling...what settings should an 07 epic have for a 205lb rider?

Front F100 fork... psi? compression clicks from full +? rebound clicks from full+?

Rear Fox shock...psi? compression clicks? rebound clicks?
    Brain...clicks from full firm?

I found 3 or 4 different "manuals" for the epic and they all seem to differ...and some dont even tell you a setting just what it does. I'm not a pro racer, so I wouldnt know how a bike should be properly setup( clicks), or how it SHOULD feel to handle at its best. I need help. I just started biking...but have been R/C racing for years...now I KNOW how a touring car should feel and what I need to do to get it to feel that way. I guess I just really need a good trail setup.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Lusus Naturae
    All info should be on the Fox website.

The Brain clicks are up to you. If its a rough trail, make it soft. If its firm and hard-packed and quick, I'd twist it to firm setting or close to it. I've had it full firm before and it works great for climbing up long fireroads.

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Set up the air pressure so that your static sag point is about 10-13% of the way into the travel. Depends on your preference for "feel" as well as terrain you ride in.

I prefer a quick rebounding shock, so that after a bump get's eaten up, I'm back extended and ready for another hit, rather than being still stuck down into the travel when the second bump hits me. Especially in the front, as you are lower and more over the front end when you sink into the travel on a steep rough descent. Some people might find that too much pogo stick action. I usually set my rebound damping rate such that i am about 1.5-2 on a scale of 1-10, 1 being very little drag on the shock travel and a very fast rebound rate.

As for compression damping the rear shock, I'd stick w/ a middle setting and adjust it a bit as you experiment on a test loop w/ some bumps. I think I'm setup about 1/3 of the way into it, just to slow down the bobbing a bit in between top out and sag. The less damping, the faster the shock moves, and the more damping slows the action down. Which way is + or - is something you'll experiment w/. I believe it's + to add damping to it, slowing it. Don't quote me on that though.

You just have to fiddle w/ it and determine what you like better. You can't go wrong w/ a middle of the range adjustment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just kept messing with it until I found that when I hit a jump mound, it would throw the bike level or a little nose up, that way, I can "flow" through all the following jumps at full speed and get great air. Its twichy at other parts of the trail though. but fun through the jump section. I rode an 07 stumpy expert, but his fork felt like it wasn't moving or it was really hard.(wasn't in lockout mode though) It just absorbed the bumps, but I've never felt my fork like that no matter how I messed with it...feels more stable that way.

mtbr member
    I just got an '07 Epic also and haven't been on my first ride yet. The website has different manuals only for different years. Look right down the middle at the 07 FSR Manuals for Epic. It will have both the AFR Brain and the Fox Brain setups. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCGlo...Name=downloads.

As for your fork, you can do the same thing here: http://foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_ce...007_om_eng.htm. Just select from the left column to see what you want to learn.

Once set-up is done, the rest of the adjustments, like CDB states (thanks for the tips btw!), is up to you.

mtbr member
    The manual isn't going to tell you how to set up your fork for your riding style and the trails you ride. The basics of the manual are what the little knobs do, and how much air pressure you should run based on your weight. You should set the pressure in the shock to what the manual says, check your sag and then start messing with the rebound and brain adjustments.

When it comes to the rebound, the keys are:

1. Don't set the rebound too fast.
    2. Don't set the rebound too slow.

If the rebound is too fast, you'll feel a sensation like the bike is trying to buck you off. You'll hit a bump and the shock will rebound very quickly, which, if your weight is too far forward could spring you forward and off. If the rebound is too slow, you'll feel the shock "packing up" small bumps that occur in rapid succession. Basically what's happening is that the shock isn't rebounding to it's start fast enough, so every little bump is just pushing the shock further in to its stroke, and eventually you'll bottom it and it will just sit there at the end of its travel. You should find a section of trail that mimics the majority of riding you do, and start playing with the settings. I think they say to start at full rebound, then back it off a couple clicks and test ride, then adjust from there, one click at a time.

For the adjustment of the brain, you should again tailor it to your riding style. Lots of small bumps and not a lot of climbing? Maybe the brain should be pretty soft. If you climb a lot and have medium-sized to larger bumps, maybe a more stiff setting. I believe most people say to start by setting the brain to full hard, backing it off three clicks, then riding it and adjusting to what you need.

Good luck. Once you get it set up how you like it, it's awesome.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    very true... I also read somewhere about the "curb" test...I opened the the brain to full soft, and put the rebound to max, then jumped off the curb several times lowering the rebound to the point where it would only absorb the bounce but not buck me up afterwards, then I firmed up the brain. Its pretty good.